Demi-Bosons: Explained in Particle Physics

• Thread starter eifphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particle
In summary, the conversation discusses the terms "demi-bosons" and "demons" in relation to particle physics. The speaker searched for information on Google but could not find a serious answer. They mention that these terms may be related to spinons, which are collective excitations in condensed matter physics. However, the other person in the conversation requests a source or reference for these terms and questions their validity in the standard model. The speaker then explains that the prefix "demi" indicates something that is half of something else, potentially a hybrid. But without a reference, the conversation does not make sense in the context of physics.
eifphysics
What is demi-bosons, or demons in particle physics. I searched Google but got no serious answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't find mentions of "demi bosons" on the arXiv or anywhere sensible, and the only "demon" I know about in physics is Maxwell's demon.Can you provide more context about where you heard this?

eifphysics said:
What is demi-bosons, or demons in particle physics. I searched Google but got no serious answer.

Unless these names came to you in a dream, where exactly did you hear such names being used? Can't you even provide us that?

Zz.

It is somehow related to spinon, and share a similar production process.
By the way, even if I make a mistake, you don't need to sound so harsh as if I am crazy. We are all sincere physics learners.

eifphysics said:
It is somehow related to spinon, and share a similar production process.

This makes no sense. Spinons are collective excitation of the magnetic spin fluctuation in condensed matter.

So I gather that can't even provide us even with a simple source of where you hear these things?

Zz.

What you said is spinon in condensed matter physics. A Higgs-related production predicts a new spin 1/2 particle, which is analogous to spinon in condensed matter physics

eifphysics said:
What you said is spinon in condensed matter physics. A Higgs-related production predicts a new spin 1/2 particle, which is analogous to spinon in condensed matter physics

So provide a reference already! Why is this like pulling teeth?

Zz.

The 'demi' prefix indicates half of something, or a hybrid, (think of ancient Greek demigods, half human, half deity)
So a demi-boson would be half boson and half something else.
I am sure that there is nothing like this in the standard model, or for that matter in any other model.
That's why you won't find it by searching.

We would all like to see a reference to a scientific paper or an article in a popular science e-zine that cites the scientific paper. Please.

This thread does not make sense without a reference to "demi-bosons". @eifphysics: If you have one, please send me a message, then I'll open the thread again.

Related to Demi-Bosons: Explained in Particle Physics

1. What are demi-bosons?

Demi-bosons are hypothetical particles that are predicted by some theories in particle physics. They are believed to have properties of both bosons and fermions, and could potentially explain the symmetry between matter and antimatter.

2. How are demi-bosons different from regular bosons and fermions?

Bosons are particles that have integer spin and follow the rules of Bose-Einstein statistics, while fermions have half-integer spin and follow the rules of Fermi-Dirac statistics. Demi-bosons, on the other hand, are predicted to have both integer and half-integer spin, making them unique from both bosons and fermions.

3. Can demi-bosons be observed in experiments?

At this time, there is no experimental evidence for the existence of demi-bosons. However, some theories, such as supersymmetry, predict their existence and ongoing research is being conducted to search for them in high-energy particle collisions.

4. What role do demi-bosons play in the Standard Model of particle physics?

The Standard Model does not include demi-bosons as they are not yet confirmed by experimental evidence. However, if they are found to exist, they could potentially provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental forces and symmetry in the universe.

5. Are demi-bosons related to dark matter or dark energy?

There is currently no evidence to suggest a direct connection between demi-bosons and dark matter or dark energy. However, some theories propose that demi-bosons could interact with dark matter, providing a potential avenue for future research and discovery.