Demonstration [L_i,x_j]= ε_ijk x_k

In summary, the conversation discusses a mathematical problem involving the commutator of operators. The solution involves using the properties of the Levi-Civita symbol, which ultimately leads to the correct result.
ebol
Hi!
I have to show that
[itex] [L_i,x_j]= i \hbar \varepsilon_{ijk} x_k [/itex]

but my result is different, I'm definitely making a mistake :confused:
ok I wrote
[itex] L_i = \varepsilon_{ijk} x_j p_k [/itex]
then
[itex] [L_i,x_l]= \varepsilon_{ijk} ( [x_j p_k , x_l] ) = \varepsilon_{ijk} ( {x_j [p_k , x_l] + [x_j , x_l] p_k } ) = \varepsilon_{ijk} ( {x_j [p_k , x_l] } ) = [/itex]

[itex] = \varepsilon_{ijk} ( {x_j \frac{\hbar}{i} δ_{kl} } ) = \frac{\hbar}{i} \varepsilon_{ijk} {x_j } [/itex]

can anyone tell me where I'm wrong? :frown:
thanks anyway! :smile:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi ebol! welcome to pf! :smile:
ebol said:
I have to show that
[itex] [L_i,x_j]= i \hbar \varepsilon_{ijk} x_k [/itex]

[itex]= \frac{\hbar}{i} \varepsilon_{ijk} {x_j } [/itex]

but [itex]\frac{1}{i} \varepsilon_{ijk} {x_j } = i \varepsilon_{ijk} x_k [/itex] :wink:

ah!
and why? :)
Because the indices [itex] j [/itex] and [itex] k [/itex] commute and changes the sign?

yup! :biggrin:

that's what ε does!​

thank you very much!
I arrived at the solution but I did not know :D

he he :biggrin:

1. What is the meaning of the symbol "ε" in the equation?

The symbol "ε" in the equation represents the Levi-Civita symbol, which is a mathematical object used in vector calculus and tensor analysis. It is used to indicate the orientation of a coordinate system and is equal to +1 if the indices are in an even permutation, -1 if they are in an odd permutation, and 0 if any indices are repeated.

2. What do the subscripts "i," "j," and "k" stand for?

The subscripts "i," "j," and "k" represent the indices of the vectors or tensors being operated on. They can take on any value from 1 to 3, depending on the dimensionality of the problem. In this equation, they represent the x, y, and z components of the vectors.

3. What is the significance of the commutator [L_i,x_j]?

The commutator [L_i,x_j] represents the angular momentum of a system. It is a mathematical operation that describes how two operators (in this case, the angular momentum operator and the position operator) interact with each other. In this case, it tells us how the angular momentum changes with respect to changes in position.

4. How is the equation "Demonstration [L_i,x_j]= ε_ijk x_k" derived?

The equation is derived using the properties and definitions of the angular momentum and position operators, as well as the properties of the Levi-Civita symbol. It is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics, used to describe the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.

5. What does this equation tell us about the behavior of particles at the atomic level?

This equation tells us that the angular momentum and position of particles at the atomic level are closely related and that changes in one can affect the other. It also highlights the importance of understanding the orientation and ordering of vectors in quantum mechanics, as indicated by the Levi-Civita symbol.