1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum and Position Operator Commutator Levi Civita Form

1. Nov 2, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that ##[L_i,x_j]=i\hbar \epsilon_{ijk}x_k \quad (i, j, k = 1, 2, 3)## where ##L_1=L_x##, ##L_2=L_y## and ##L_3=L_z## and ##x_1=x##, ##x_2=y## and ##x_3=z##.

2. Relevant equations

There aren't any given except those in the problem, however I assume we use

$$L_i=x_jp_k-p_kx_j$$

$$[A,B]=AB-BA$$

$$[A+B,C]=[A,C]+[B,C]$$

$$[AB,C]=[A,C]B+A[B,C]$$

3. The attempt at a solution

Sub ##L_i=x_jp_k-p_kx_j## into ##[L_i,x_j]##

$$[x_j-p_k-p_kx_j]=[x_jp_k,x_j]-[p_kx_j,x_j]$$

Use ##[AB,C]=[A,C]B+A[B,C]##

$$([x_j,x_j]p_k+x_j[p_k,x_j])-([p_k,x_j]x_j+[x_j,x_j]p_k)$$

The two commutators ##[x_j,x_j]=0## so I end up with

$$x_j[p_k,x_j]-[p_k,x_j]x_j$$

However I have no idea where to go from here. I don't understand where the ##x_k## term comes from. I assume the ##i\hbar## term would appear if I wrote the momentum operators as ##-i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial x_k}## however then I would end up with a bunch of differential operators I don't know how to work with.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Easy: ##{\partial \over \partial x_i }x_j = \delta_{ij}##

4. Nov 3, 2016 #3

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This last equation is not correct. It is only true if the indices are ##(i, j, k) = (1, 2, 3), (2, 3, 1)## or ##(3, 1, 2)##. For example:
    $$L_1 = x_2 p_3 - x_3 p_2$$
    This is where the Levi-Civita symbol comes in:
    $$L_i = \epsilon_{ijk}x_j p_k$$
    Because, if ##i = 1## say, then ##\epsilon_{ijk} =0## except ##\epsilon_{123} =1## and ##\epsilon_{132} =-1##

And note that this invokes the "summation convention", which is a convenient shorthand and hides a whole bunch of the mathematical framework. For example, written out fully that would be:
    $$For \ i = 1, 2, 3: \ \ L_i = \sum_{j,k = 1}^{3} \epsilon_{ijk}x_j p_k$$
    That is three separate equations (one for each of ##i = 1, 2, 3##) involving ##L_i## equal to a sum of 9 terms.

My advice is that, until you have really mastered this Levi-Civita symbol, you should always keep in mind that it is an extreme shorthand and often what appears to one equation involving a couple of terms is in fact much more complicated.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted