Demonstration the idea of a Euclidian proof

In summary, for the presentation on mathematical proofs to a non-math audience, the most audience-friendly and time-efficient proof would be Proposition 13 from Euclid's elements, which states that if a straight line stands on a straight line, then it makes either two right angles or angles whose sum equals two right angles. Additionally, the concept of parallel lines can also be used to demonstrate critical thinking in Euclidean geometry, appealing to our intuition and understanding of lines and planes to show that two lines at right angles must be parallel.
dkotschessaa
I'm going to give a presentation involving mathematical proofs to people who are not really into math (in a Critical Thinking class).

I would like to use something from Euclid's elements. I would like it to be a geometric proof - but what is the most "audience friendly?" I need to be able to do it in a very short amount of time. (We have less than 10 minutes for our entire presentation, and the proof cannot take up the bulk of it).

I'm thinking Proposition 13 "If a straight line stands on a straight line, then it makes either two right angles or angles whose sum equals two right angles."

Ideas? I can have fun with this one...

-Dave K

Mathematics news on Phys.org
In the liberal arts the mathematical style of Euclid is still regarded as epitomizing mathematical proof. Euclid's style is still copied in secondary school textbooks. However, it is not a good example of modern "critical thinking" in mathematics. I'm talking about Euclid's general approach being antiquated, not about his subject matter (geometry, number theory).

In Euclid's approach, certain things are regarded as "self evident". These are set down as assumptions so the author can conveniently refer to them in writing proofs.. They aren't treated as assumptions with idea of allowing the possibility that there might be different fields of mathematics where some of the assumptions are false. His style of definition attempts to define a thing as a something everyone will be familiar with and after we understand it, we are allowed to assume that all the properties of the familiar thing apply without having them explicitly listed as part of the definition.

The Euclidean approach is useful in mathematics education since it emphasizes intuition.

i've always liked bhaskara's first proof of the pythagorean theorem.

1) the pythagorean theorem is likely something everyone will think is true, and will have seen somewhere.

2) the proof is highly visual, and takes maybe a minute or two to run through. the assumptions are minimal, and require little mathematical sophistication.

3) the theorem, nevertheless, is extremely important, and forms the basis of many important ideas.

(for an example of what i mean, see here: http://jwilson.coe.uga.edu/emt668/emt668.student.folders/headangela/essay1/pythagorean.html )

Euclid's proof of the infinitude of primes is another good candidate, illustrating the principle of "proof by contradiction" (aka reductio ad absurdum, "reducing to an absurdity"). a beautiful discussion of this proof can be found in:

http://www.math.uAlberta.ca/~mss/misc/A%20Mathematician's%20Apology.pdf

in any case, good luck with your presentation! :)

dkotschessaa said:
I'm going to give a presentation involving mathematical proofs to people who are not really into math (in a Critical Thinking class).

I would like to use something from Euclid's elements. I would like it to be a geometric proof - but what is the most "audience friendly?" I need to be able to do it in a very short amount of time. (We have less than 10 minutes for our entire presentation, and the proof cannot take up the bulk of it).

I'm thinking Proposition 13 "If a straight line stands on a straight line, then it makes either two right angles or angles whose sum equals two right angles."Ideas? I can have fun with this one...

-Dave K

For critical thinking in Euclidean geometry I suggest the insight that parallel lines exist. This does not require the parallel postulate but only simple ideas about lines and planes.As I was taught it, a line in a plane separates a plane into two "half planes" which are intuitively imagined to be identical in all of their properties.

It is also assumed that two lines can intersect in exactly one point.Now suppose that a line lies in a plane and two other lines are drawn at right angles to it in the plane.

Do these lines have to be parallel?

The answer is yes.

The argument appeals to our intuition that the half planes must be identical. If the two lines intersect in one of the half plane and not in the other then even though there is nothing about the lines or their angles of intersection that are different in either half plane ( they enter each half plane at right angles), somehow the half planes would be different because the two lines would intersect in one and not in the other.

But two lines can not intersect in two points so these lines must actually be parallel.

Last edited:

Thank you for your question, Dave. Euclidean proofs are a fundamental part of mathematics and have been used for centuries to demonstrate the validity of mathematical statements. In this case, Proposition 13 from Euclid's Elements is a great choice for a short and audience-friendly proof.

To demonstrate this proof, you could use a visual aid such as a drawing or a physical model. Start by drawing two intersecting lines on a whiteboard or piece of paper. Then, draw a third line that intersects one of the existing lines at a right angle. This creates two angles, one on each side of the third line.

Next, using a protractor or by estimating, measure the two angles and add them together. The sum should equal 180 degrees, or two right angles. This demonstrates the truth of Proposition 13, that when a straight line stands on another straight line, it creates angles whose sum equals two right angles.

To make this proof more interactive and engaging, you could have your audience members participate by measuring the angles themselves and adding them together. This will not only help them understand the concept better but also make the presentation more enjoyable.

In conclusion, Proposition 13 from Euclid's Elements is an excellent choice for a short and audience-friendly proof. By using a visual aid and involving your audience, you can effectively demonstrate the idea of a Euclidean proof and make it more engaging for those who may not be familiar with mathematics. Good luck with your presentation!

1. What is a Euclidian proof?

A Euclidian proof is a method of proving a mathematical statement or theorem using the principles of Euclidean geometry, developed by the ancient Greek mathematician Euclid. It relies on logical deductions from a set of axioms and postulates to reach a conclusion.

2. How does a Euclidian proof differ from other types of proofs?

A Euclidian proof differs from other types of proofs, such as algebraic or analytical proofs, in that it is based on geometric concepts and relies on visual reasoning and deductions rather than algebraic manipulations.

3. What are the basic elements of a Euclidian proof?

The basic elements of a Euclidian proof include axioms, which are self-evident truths, and postulates, which are accepted without proof. These elements are used to construct logical arguments, called propositions, which lead to a conclusion.

4. Can a Euclidian proof be used for any mathematical statement?

No, a Euclidian proof is limited to statements and theorems that can be expressed in terms of geometric concepts. It is not applicable to all types of mathematical problems or statements.

5. How important is the use of diagrams in a Euclidian proof?

Diagrams play a crucial role in a Euclidian proof as they assist in visualizing the problem and making logical deductions. They help to illustrate the relationships between geometric figures and make the proof easier to follow and understand.