1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Proof that exterior angles of a triangle sum to 360

Tags:
  1. Aug 7, 2016 #1
    So I am working on this simple proof, but am confused about the term "external angle." The problem says that if ##a##, ##b##, and ##c## are external angles to a triangle, then ##a + b + c = 360##. However, is seems that the vertex of each triangle has two possible external angles, since there are two line segments that converge to that point (the vertex). So this would mean that there are 6 possible external angles for the triangle. So when it says to sum 3 of them, I'm not sure which ones, or how.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

triangle.png

Here we have ##a+b+c= 180°## as it is always the case with planar triangles.
    Therefore ##3\cdot 360° = 1080°## and ##1080° -180° = 900° = a' + b' +c'##.

The only chance I see to get ##360°## by somehow external angles would be this:

triangle1.png

Now we have ##a'+b'+c' = \frac{1}{2} (3 \cdot 360° - (2a+2b+2c)) = 540° - (a+b+c) = 540° - 180° = 360°##
    or ##a'+b'+c' = 3\cdot 180° - (a+b+c) = 2 \cdot 180° = 360°##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted