Departments with low/no graduate enrollments worrysome?

• Thread starter Lavabug
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graduate
In summary, the conversation discusses findings from the AIP statistics on graduate enrollments in astronomy/astrophysics programs. Several universities, such as Case Western, Ohio State, and Rice University, have had low enrollments for several years in a row, leading to questions about the accuracy of the data or the reasons for low enrollment. The conversation also considers the possibility that graduate departments may send out more offers of admission than they can afford to sponsor. However, low enrollment does not necessarily indicate a red flag, as smaller programs can provide good support and opportunities for students.
Lavabug
I have been looking at several graduate programs in astronomy/astrophysics and I've come across a few with track records of low enrollments according to AIP:

http://www.aip.org/statistics/trends/archives/astrost10.pdf

Statistics from previous years: http://www.aip.org/statistics/trends/archives/astrorost.htm

Case Western, Ohio State and Rice University for example have had 0 or 1 graduate enrollments several years in a row, even when according to gradschoolshopper (who get their data from AIP, though I don't know where), they admit many more students than the number that actually enroll. The one with 0 enrollments several years straight was Rice U.

I'm guessing this can mean one or more of the following:

-The data is wrong.
-More students are admitted that can be actually fully funded by the department, hence admitted students turn them down when they get offers with no/low tuition remission and stipend.
-Students simply took up better offers elsewhere, somewhere with palm trees.

Is this a warning sign to stay away from these universities or is it some error in the report? I quite like the programs at cwru and Ohio, I thought they had a very good reputation.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you look on their web pages under "graduate student directory" or similar, do you see graduate students? Where do you think they came from?

Vanadium 50 said:
If you look on their web pages under "graduate student directory" or similar, do you see graduate students? Where do you think they came from?

From storks. :)

I have already looked at them. CWRU and Rice don't state the year they enrolled (Rice doesn't even state if they're in the physics or astronomy phd tracks) and Ohio only shows one grad student who graduated in 2010, which agrees with the AIP roster from 2010. But then again, any of the other students that graduated earlier could have enrolled that same year. I have already found some discrepancies between what grad departments report on their pages and what shows on the AIP roster.

I am wondering if it's common for graduate departments to send out more offers of admission than they can actually afford to sponsor, hence the sometimes large difference between the number of admitted and enrolled students.

Last edited:
Lavabug said:
From storks. :)

I am wondering if it's common for graduate departments to send out more offers of admission than they can actually afford to sponsor, hence the sometimes large difference between the number of admitted and enrolled students.

Extremely common. I would almost say they all do it. You never know how many people are going to enroll.

That said, low enrollment isn't necessarily a red flag. Departments with a handful of students can give them really good support, and you can get to know everyone, which is critical when you want to get a job in the future.

If they have 75 grad students listed on their site, I would not worry about low enrollment.

1. Why are low/no graduate enrollments concerning for departments?

Low or no graduate enrollments can be concerning for departments because it can indicate a lack of interest or demand for the field, which can lead to a decline in the quality and reputation of the department. It can also affect funding and resources for the department.

2. What are the potential reasons for low/no graduate enrollments?

There can be a variety of reasons for low or no graduate enrollments, including a decrease in overall interest in the field, competition from other departments or universities, lack of funding or resources, and changes in the job market or industry for graduates of the program.

3. How can departments address low/no graduate enrollments?

Departments can address low or no graduate enrollments by actively promoting their programs, reaching out to potential students and offering incentives or scholarships, improving the curriculum and resources, and collaborating with other departments or universities. It is also important to continuously assess and adapt to the changing needs and demands of the field.

4. Can low/no graduate enrollments be a sign of a failing department?

Not necessarily. Low or no graduate enrollments can be a temporary issue and can be addressed with strategic changes and efforts. However, if the trend continues over a prolonged period, it may indicate underlying issues within the department that need to be addressed.

5. How can departments attract and retain graduate students?

Departments can attract and retain graduate students by offering competitive and relevant programs, providing opportunities for hands-on experience and research, creating a supportive and inclusive environment, and offering financial aid or assistantships. It is also important to maintain a strong reputation and network within the industry to attract top students.