Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Depth of fields in Physics, Cosmology etc

1. Nov 17, 2011 #1
    As someone trained in IT, having spent 15+ years as a network consultant, it sometimes surprises me that people expect you to be an expert in other areas of IT. I know networks and subnets, protocols, infrastructure, network security, data packets, switching, wireless and related things - that was my expertise (until I changed direction a few years ago). But people expect an IT person to also be expert in MS Office, Linux, Multimedia, Mac, telephony, databases, computer circuitry, business packages, etc. And while I know a lot about those things, they are not my field of expertise.

Is it the same within specific fields of science? Is a cosmologist more expert in one area of cosmology than another area of cosmology? I imagine there are physicist with expertise in different areas. Do biologists often find themselves explaining that the area of inquiry is not in their field of expertise?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2016 #2
    Old thread but worthwhile question that I have also wondered. Is there a danger in the increasing specialization of science? When we have scientists working so narrowly in a field, who is there to connect all the dots?

4. Aug 9, 2016 #3

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The degree of labor specialization is determined by the level of demand - A. Smith

5. Aug 9, 2016 #4

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

6. Aug 9, 2016 #5

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

When no one can understand you, you have ceased to be relevant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted