Depth of fields in Physics, Cosmology etc

• Thread starter narrator
  • Start date
As someone trained in IT, having spent 15+ years as a network consultant, it sometimes surprises me that people expect you to be an expert in other areas of IT. I know networks and subnets, protocols, infrastructure, network security, data packets, switching, wireless and related things - that was my expertise (until I changed direction a few years ago). But people expect an IT person to also be expert in MS Office, Linux, Multimedia, Mac, telephony, databases, computer circuitry, business packages, etc. And while I know a lot about those things, they are not my field of expertise.

Is it the same within specific fields of science? Is a cosmologist more expert in one area of cosmology than another area of cosmology? I imagine there are physicist with expertise in different areas. Do biologists often find themselves explaining that the area of inquiry is not in their field of expertise?

Answers and Replies

Old thread but worthwhile question that I have also wondered. Is there a danger in the increasing specialization of science? When we have scientists working so narrowly in a field, who is there to connect all the dots?

EnumaElish
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The degree of labor specialization is determined by the level of demand - A. Smith

Bystander
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
but worthwhile question
When no one can understand you, you have ceased to be relevant.

Likes EnumaElish