Derivation for Aphelion and Perihelion Distances

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter bruhh
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Derivation
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
3 replies · 3K views
bruhh
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I know the formulas for perihelion and aphelion distances in an orbit with SMA a and eccentricity e are a(1-e) and a(1+e), respectively. However, why is this? I can't seem to find any derivations for this anywhere and also cannot figure this out myself.
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Not sure what you mean by "why" here. The focus-directrix definition of an ellipse gives you this more or less instantly, but you may have to work harder with other definitions. Or are you trying to prove it from ##F=GMm/r^2##?

Basically, you have told us where you want to go but not where you are. That makes it tricky to give directions.
 
Last edited:
bruhh said:
I know the formulas for perihelion and aphelion distances in an orbit with SMA a and eccentricity e are a(1-e) and a(1+e), respectively. However, why is this? I can't seem to find any derivations for this anywhere and also cannot figure this out myself.
It follows from the definition of the eccentricity: the focal points of an ellipse are at a distance ## \pm e a ## from the center. And for perihelion and aphelion, as for any points on the ellipse, the sum of the distances to the foci must be ## 2a ##.