1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivation of Ee in Inverse Compton Scattering

1. Feb 24, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In the inverse compton scattering, find the formula of the recoiled electron as a function of the incoming electron

2. Relevant equations
    The energy of the incoming photon and electron are known.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Starting from this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compton_scattering#Inverse_Compton_scattering

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. Feb 24, 2015 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sorry if that seems a bit coarse. After posting I noticed this was your first post in the homework area. Didn't mean to shoo you away. Anyway, the homework area has some guidelines with mandatory parts. Showing an effort is the main one. To prevent us from being used as workhorses instead of helpers. :wink:

5. Feb 25, 2015 #4
    Sorry, I just wanted to avoid redundancy as I already posted the link.

What I have already in the reference frame of the e- for the photon

[itex] E_0 = \gamma E_0^* (1- \frac{u}{c}cos\theta_0^*) \\

E_1 = \frac{E_0}{1+ \frac{E_0}{(m_e*c^2)}(1-cos\phi)} \\

E_1^*= \gamma E_1(1- \frac{u}{c}cos\theta_0^*)[/itex]

where [itex]*[/itex] denotes the lab reference frame

[itex] \theta_0^* [/itex] the angle between the direction of the e- and the incoming photon in the lab frame

[itex] \phi [/itex] the angle between the incoming and outgoing photon in the rest frame of the e-..

Now, I cannot figure out how to get the energy of the electron in the lab frame...

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  6. Feb 27, 2015 #5
    Hi

Any hint for this ?

Thanks again

7. Feb 27, 2015 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

@Orodruin : can you help this guy out ? I don't get much further than googling to see what limits can be taken safely. (Sorry Alk...)

8. Mar 4, 2015 #7
    I think what I am not sure about, is how to derive the Ee given the fact that the the photon energy has to be corrected with the Doppler term and has been "boosted" by the gamma...

9. Mar 12, 2015 #8
    Hi

@Orodruin @BvU sorry for keep bugging you again, but any help would be highly appreciated

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted