Fraction of lost energy in compton scattering

In summary: So I would say "none of these" would be the best answer.In summary, the fraction of energy lost by a photon after undergoing 90° Compton scattering cannot be determined without knowing the wavelength or frequency of the photon before scattering. Therefore, the answer is "none of these" and there should be an option (a), (b), or (c) provided.
Magnetic Boy

Homework Statement

After undergoing through 90° compton scattering, the fraction of energy lost by photon is
a) 10%
b) 20%
c) 50%
d) zero
e) none of these

Homework Equations

∆λ= h/moc (1-cosΦ)

The Attempt at a Solution

What i m doing is that, i get scattered photon energy and subtracting it from the total and dividing by the total. But it seems unsolvable as wave length of the photon before scattering not given

Physics news on Phys.org
what is the relation between the Energy of a photon and it's wavelength?

If the energy of the photon before the scattering is denoted E and the energy of the photon is denoted E' what is the expression for "the fraction of energy lost"

Likes Magnetic Boy
Is there any such relation?? I don't know...

google it

but to answer the question. Look at the numbers given, they are really "nice". No way those can be reproduced by the scattering formula.

Got the eqn. But it need to have scattered energy frequency. Which is not given in the problem. Does this mean the option "none of above is correct"?

For a photon (light), frequency and wavelength are related.

James R said:
For a photon (light), frequency and wavelength are related.
Yes. But neither of them is given

Frequency and Energy of photon also are related E=hf where h plank's constant.

QUOTE="Delta², post: 5517626, member: 189563"]Frequency and Energy of photon also are related E=hf where h plank's constant.[/QUOTE]
I know it very well. But look at the question. Only angle of scattering is given. Does not it mean that we cannot find fraction of lost energy? I just want to confirm.. (or is there some way to find the fractional lost energy)

Magnetic Boy said:
Delta² said:
Frequency and Energy of photon also are related E=hf where h plank's constant.
I know it very well. But look at the question. Only angle of scattering is given. Does not it mean that we cannot find fraction of lost energy? I just want to confirm.. (or is there some way to find the fractional lost energy)

Seems to me you are right, we have to know the wavelength (or frequency) of the photon before scattering.

Magnetic Boy said:

The Attempt at a Solution

What i m doing is that, i get scattered photon energy and subtracting it from the total and dividing by the total. But it seems unsolvable as wave length of the photon before scattering not given

Should not have the need for initial energy: https://www.hep.wisc.edu/~prepost/407/compton/compton.pdf

EDIT: made a calculation mistake, have no idea how to approach this questions

Last edited:
Magnetic Boy said:
Got the eqn. But it need to have scattered energy frequency. Which is not given in the problem.
Just to check, what equation did you get?

James R said:
Just to check, what equation did you get?
I got ΔE/E= (E'/mc2)(1-cosΦ)

Magnetic Boy said:
I got ΔE/E= (E'/mc2)(1-cosΦ)
That looks right.

I agree that you'd need to know the wavelength or frequency of the incoming photon in order to get a numerical answer.

Likes Magnetic Boy
James Rst: 5518255 said:
That looks right.

I agree that you'd need to know the wavelength or frequency of the incoming photon in order to get a numerical answer.
Thanks. So the answer is "none of these". Now i am sure. Some one answered it 50%. And i were really confused about that.

Magnetic Boy said:
Thanks. So the answer is "none of these". Now i am sure. Some one answered it 50%. And i were really confused about that.
Well, I supposed it could be 50%, or 10% or 20%, if the incoming photon energy was whatever is necessary to get those values. We know it can't be zero, because incoming photon must lose energy if it is scattered at any angle other than 0 degrees. Your formula has ##\Delta E/E = E'/mc^2##, where ##\phi=90^\circ##, and ##E'## can't be zero.

Really, there should be an "(a), (b) or (c)" option.

1. What is the concept of "fraction of lost energy" in compton scattering?

The fraction of lost energy in compton scattering refers to the amount of energy that is transferred from a photon to an electron during the scattering process. This transfer of energy results in a decrease in the energy of the scattered photon, with the remaining energy being transferred to the electron.

2. How is the fraction of lost energy calculated in compton scattering?

The fraction of lost energy can be calculated using the formula Δλ/λ = 1 - cosθ, where Δλ is the change in wavelength of the scattered photon, λ is the original wavelength of the photon, and θ is the angle of scattering.

3. What factors affect the fraction of lost energy in compton scattering?

The fraction of lost energy in compton scattering is affected by the energy of the incident photon, the mass of the scattering electron, and the angle of scattering. Additionally, the fraction of lost energy increases as the energy of the incident photon increases.

4. Why is the fraction of lost energy important in compton scattering?

The fraction of lost energy is important in compton scattering because it is a measure of how much energy is transferred from the incident photon to the scattering electron. This information can be used to understand and study the properties of materials and particles.

5. How does the fraction of lost energy in compton scattering relate to the scattering angle?

The fraction of lost energy in compton scattering is directly proportional to the scattering angle. This means that as the angle of scattering increases, the fraction of lost energy also increases. This relationship is described by the formula Δλ/λ = 1 - cosθ, where θ is the scattering angle.