Derivation of Instantaneous Velocity

In summary: I should have been more clear in my explanation. :) Units for velocity are in m/s so '6' is '6 m/s2' and '4' is '4 m/s' so x(t) is in m/s.
0x5B
Find the instantaneous velocity where r is the position vector as a function of time:
r(t)=(3.0m/s^2)t[itex]\hat{x}[/itex]+(4.0m/s)t[itex]\hat{y}[/itex]

I attempted to find the derivative of this to find instantaneous velocity, but the book's solution was different. I think the author of the book may have made a mistake, but if not, I would like to know what I've done wrong.
My answer: v(t)=(6.0m/s)t[itex]\hat{x}[/itex]+(4.0m/s)[itex]\hat{y}[/itex]
Book's answer: v(t)=(6.0m/s^2)t[itex]\hat{x}[/itex]+(4.0m/s)[itex]\hat{y}[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
0x5B said:
r(t)=(3.0m/s^2)t[itex]\hat{x}[/itex]+(4.0m/s)t[itex]\hat{y}[/itex]

Should this be:

r(t) = 3t2 [itex]\hat{x}[/itex] + 4t [itex]\hat{y}[/itex]

Then

r'(t) = 6t [itex]\hat{x}[/itex] + 4 [itex]\hat{y}[/itex]

as you and the book found.

Units for velocity are in m/s so '6' is '6 m/s2' and '4' is '4 m/s'
so I agree with the book :)

When you multiply m/s2 by seconds, the result is m/s

Ah, thank you, I was unsure of how to handle the units and being in only ninth grade I wasn't so sure about calling out a university level physics book on a mistake.

Last edited:
0x5B said:
Ah, thank you, I was unsure of how to handle the units and being in only ninth grade I wasn't so sure about calling out a university level physics book on a mistake.

Oh, there are mistakes... later editions and more elementary level tends to reduce the number of errors.

At ninth grade the math will probably get in your way but it's good to see some early interest :)

Hmm... Taking a second look, I'm not sure we're on the same page. The '6t' should represent (6m/s^2), not just the '6', so it should be (6m/s^2) not (6m/s^2)*t, right? Or am I still missing something? I apologize for such a protracted conversation about something as simple as the units.

0x5B said:
Hmm... Taking a second look, I'm not sure we're on the same page. The '6t' should represent (6m/s^2), not just the '6', so it should be (6m/s^2) not (6m/s^2)*t, right? Or am I still missing something? I apologize for such a protracted conversation about something as simple as the units.

The x component of the velocity is x(t) = 6t so '6t' is the horizontal velocity in m/s. It is changing with time that is why the t is there. At time 0, the horizontal velocity is x(0)=0 m/s. At time t=1, the horizontal velocity is x(1)=(6 m/s2)*(1 s) = 6 m/s

The units of x(t) are m/s. 't' is in seconds so that means the units of the constant '6' must be m/s2. m/s2 * s = m/s (cancel out one of the 's')

Last edited:
Ah, again, thank you. In hindsight, this was such an obvious oversight on my part.

What is instantaneous velocity?

Instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time. It is the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time at a particular instant.

How is instantaneous velocity calculated?

Instantaneous velocity is calculated by finding the derivative of an object's position function with respect to time. This is done by taking the limit as the change in time approaches 0.

What is the difference between instantaneous velocity and average velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement of an object over a period of time, divided by the total time. It is an average value over a given interval. Instantaneous velocity, on the other hand, is the velocity at a specific moment in time, and can vary throughout the object's motion.

Why is instantaneous velocity important?

Instantaneous velocity is important because it allows us to understand the motion of objects at any given point in time. It provides a more accurate description of an object's velocity, especially when the object's motion is changing.

What are some real-life applications of understanding instantaneous velocity?

Understanding instantaneous velocity is crucial in fields such as physics, engineering, and sports. It is used to analyze and predict the motion of objects, such as cars, projectiles, and athletes. It also plays a role in designing and optimizing machinery and transportation systems.