Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivation of the ordinary time derivative of the energy associated with a wave

1. Oct 21, 2008 #1
    Okay, so I'm at a loss for words to describe my irritation and curiousity on how this is solved.
    Given the one-dimensional wave equation
    (i.e. u_tt=c^2*u_xx 0<x<L, t>0) with no source and constant velocity, we define the energy associated with the wave to be
    E=integral from 0 to L of (1/2)*(u_t)^2 with respect to x plus the integral from 0 to L of (c^2/2)*(u_x)^2 with respect to x. I get that E is the sum of the kinetic and potential energies. I am, however, having a hard time grasping how the ordinary time derivative of the energy function was derived, where dE/dt=c^2*u_t(L,t)*u_x(L,t)-c^2*u_t(0,t)*u_x(0,t).
    The problem I am having is that I don't know what an ordinary derivative of a function of two variables is. What I'm trying to say is that I don't know what d/dt [(u_x)^2] or d/dt[(u_t)^2] are.

If you could throw me a bone here if I'm going in the correct direction in the derivation or tell me before I hit the wall of wrongness, that would be golden!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Where did you see the phrase "ordinary time derivative"?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?