Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivation of Uncertainty Princple

1. Jun 17, 2009 #1
    Referrence to Modern Quantum Mechanics, J.J.Sakurai,
    I found the "Generalized Uncertainty Principle" is that
    <( s.d. of operator A)^2> <( s.d. of operator B)^2> >= 1/4 |<[A,B]>|^2 + 1/4 |<{s.d of A, s.d of B}>|^2

I hope it is not difficult to read, as I don't know how to type it formally.
    I would like to ask why the inequality finally omitted the second (the anticommutator) term ?
    Sakurai said it is because the second term can only make the inequality relation stronger.
    I can't understand. Besides, I am a UG Year 1 students, but familiar to Dirac Notation as I am doing UG research on Quantum Information Theory. I hope any one can explain it in a easy way ^^ Thank You

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2009 #2

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The second term is always positive. Therefore if LHS >= First + Second, LHS >= First will always be true. And omitting the second term makes the uncertainty principle look "nicer".

4. Jun 17, 2009 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi ChrisLM! :smile:

oooh, nicksauce :smile: has beat me to it!

anyway, have a geq: ≥, and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook