Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Derivative of A Def. Integral Equals Another Def. Integral?

1. Nov 3, 2016 #1
    I'm going through the book "Elementry Differnetial Equations With Boundary Value Problems" 4th Eddition by William R. Derrick and Stanley I. Grossman.

On Page 138 (below) Dg03h.jpg )

The authors take the derivative of a definite integral and end up with a definite integral plus another term. How did they do this?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2016 #2

lurflurf

Homework Helper

Use Leibniz integral rule
    $$\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x}\int_{a(x)}^{b(x)} \! f(x,t) \, \mathrm{d}x=\frac{\mathrm{d}b(x)}{\mathrm{d}x}f(x,b(x))-\frac{\mathrm{d}a(x)}{\mathrm{d}x}f(x,a(x))+\int_{a(x)}^{b(x)} \! \frac{\mathrm{\partial}}{\mathrm{\partial}x} f(x,t) \, \mathrm{d}x$$
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leibniz_integral_rule

4. Nov 4, 2016 #3

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is because they differentiate with respect to ##x## and there are at least three occurrences of ##x## in the formula that is being integrated: one as an upper integration limit, and two as function arguments in the integrand. There may be up to two more, being the ##y_1,y_2## in the denominator of the integrand. The excerpt does not make clear whether they also depend on ##x##, so I will assume they do not, although they could, since there is a ##y_1(x)## and ##y_2(x)## in the numerator.

Let the function ##A:\mathbb R^2\to\mathbb R## be an antiderivative (indefinite integral) of the integrand with respect to ##t##, ie ##\frac{\partial }{\partial t}A(t,x)=a(t,x)## where ##a(t,x)## is the integrand.

Then the definite integral is
    $$A(x,x)-A(x_0,x)$$
    Differentiating this wrt ##x## and using the total differential rule gives
    \begin{align*}
    \frac d{dx}\left(A(x,x)-A(x_0,x)\right)
    &=D_1A(x,x)\frac{dx}{dx} + D_2A(x,x)\frac{dx}{dx}
    -D_1A(x_0,x)\frac{dx_0}{dx}-D_2A(x_0,x)\frac{dx}{dx}\\
    &=D_1A(x,x)\cdot 1 + D_2A(x,x)\cdot 1
    -D_1A(x_0,x)\cdot 0-D_2A(x_0,x)\cdot 1\\
    &=D_1A(x,x) + D_2A(x,x)-D_2A(x_0,x)
    \end{align*}
    where ##D_kA## indicates the partial derivative of function ##A## wrt its ##k##th argument.
    This is equal to
    \begin{align*}
    a(x,x) + D_u\bigg(A(x,u)-A(x_0,u)\bigg)\bigg|_{u=x}
    &=
    a(x,x) + D_u \int_{x_0}^x a(t,u)dt\bigg|_{u=x}
    \end{align*}
    where ##D_u## indicates partial differentiation wrt the variable ##u##
    In the second term we can, given certain mild assumptions, move the differentiation operator inside the integral sign to obtain:
    \begin{align*}
    a(x,x) + \int_{x_0}^x D_ua(t,u)dt\bigg|_{u=x}
    =a(x,x) + \int_{x_0}^x D_xa(t,x)dt
    \end{align*}

EDIT: Which is a derivation of the Leibniz integration rule referenced in the above post, which appeared on my screen when I posted this.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  5. Nov 4, 2016 #4

lurflurf

Homework Helper

The y's in the denominator of the integral do not depend on x. After differentiating The t's in the denominator turn to x's.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted