Derivative of a function with respect to another function

In summary, the conversation is about the chain rule in Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics and how to differentiate a function with respect to another function. The formula for the chain rule is referenced and verified.
tahlaskerssen
So I'm just having a bad night about Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics and I was deriving them all over again and just wanted to try to differenciate the derivation with respect to velocity instead of x (just for fun)

But I kind of struggled with the math and I just want to get this right with the chain rule

If F is a function of x and V and V a function of x as well and I want to differentiate F with respect to V

dF/dV = dF/dx . dx/dV

Is it really this way?

I kind of took the formula from the post at the bottom here: -> https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=282120

But i don't really understand what that comes from.. is ti true the equations that guy wrote? I've never seen the chain rule that way

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure exactly what you are asking but it is certainly true that if U(x) and V(x) are functions of some common variable, x, then "the derivative of U with respect to V" is
[tex]\frac{dU}{dV}= \frac{\frac{dU}{dx}}{\frac{dV}{dx}}[/tex].

1. What is the derivative of a function with respect to another function?

The derivative of a function with respect to another function is known as the composite derivative. It represents the instantaneous rate of change of the composite function at a specific point.

2. How is the derivative of a function with respect to another function calculated?

The derivative of a function with respect to another function is calculated using the chain rule. This involves taking the derivative of the outer function and multiplying it by the derivative of the inner function.

3. Can the derivative of a function with respect to another function be negative?

Yes, the derivative of a function with respect to another function can be negative. This indicates that the composite function is decreasing at that particular point.

4. What is the physical interpretation of the derivative of a function with respect to another function?

The derivative of a function with respect to another function has a physical interpretation of the instantaneous velocity of the composite function at a given point. It represents how fast the composite function is changing at that specific point.

5. How is the derivative of a function with respect to another function used in real-world applications?

The derivative of a function with respect to another function is widely used in physics, engineering, and economics to model and analyze complex systems. It helps in understanding the behavior of variables in relation to each other and making predictions about their future values.