Derivative of Mean Curvature and Scalar field

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
darida
Messages
35
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


Page 16 (attached file)
[tex]\frac{dH}{dt}|_{t=0} = Δ_{Σ}φ + Ric (ν,ν)φ+|A|^{2}φ[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d}{dt}(dσ_{t})|_{t=0} = - φHdσ[/tex]
H = mean curvature of surface Σ
A = the second fundamental of Σ
ν = the unit normal vector field along Σ
φ = the scalar field on three manifold M
[tex]φ∈C^{∞}(Σ)[/tex]

Homework Equations


Now I want to find [tex]\frac{dφ}{dt} = ...?[/tex]
with [tex]φ≠\frac{1}{H}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


[tex]\frac{dH}{dt} = Δ_{Σ}φ + Ric (ν,ν)φ+|A|^{2}φ[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{Δ_{Σ}+ Ric (ν,ν)+|A|^{2}} \frac{dH}{dt} = φ[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\left ( \frac{1}{Δ_{Σ}+ Ric (ν,ν)+|A|^{2}} \frac{dH}{dt} \right )= \frac{dφ}{dt}[/tex]
But I am not sure about this.
 
Attachments
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Further information (file attached, Appendix A, page 99):
[tex]∂_{t} = φ\vec{ν}[/tex]
So the derivation of [itex]φ[/itex] with respect to [itex]t[/itex] would be:
[tex]\frac{dφ}{dt} = \frac{d}{dt} \left (\frac{1}{ν} \frac{∂}{∂t} \right )[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dφ}{dt} = \frac{1}{ν} \frac{∂}{∂t} \left ( \frac{∂}{∂t} \right ) + \frac{∂}{∂t} \frac{d}{dt} \frac{1}{ν}[/tex]
And now after this I don't know what to do
 
Attachments