1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Method of images, charge q inside conducting sphere

1. Oct 26, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Using the method of images discuss the problem of a point charge q inside a hollow grounded conducting sphere of inner radius a.Find
    (a) the potential inside the sphere
    (b) induced surface-charge density
    (c) the magnitude and the direction of force acting on q
    is there any change of the solution i f the sphere is kept at a fixed potential V? If the sphere has a total charge Q on it?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    parts a) and b) were easily solved
    By using method if images:
    ##q'=\frac {-qa}{y}##and ##y'=\frac{a^2}{y}##
    the potential at point p is ##Φ(p)=\frac{q}{4πε|x\vec n-y\vec n'|} +\frac{q'}{4πε|x\vec n-y'\vec n'|}##
    the magnitudes of q and q' are chosen so that the potential at the surface of the sphere becomes zero.
    the result will be by using spherical coordintes:##Φ(x)=\frac {q}{4πε} [ \frac {1}{\sqrt {y^2+x^2-2yxcos(\gamma)} } -\frac{1}{\sqrt {a^2+y^2x^2/a^2 -2yxcos(\gamma)} }]##

Now the surface charge density is## σ=εE=-ε\frac {\partial Φ(x)}{\partial x}|_{x=a} ##that will leads finally to
    ##σ=\frac {qa/4π (y^2/a^2 -1)}{(y^2+a^2-2yacos(\gamma))^{3/2}} ##

I really stopped at part (c)
    the easiet way is to find the force between q and q' by using Coulombs equation.
    the answer will be ##|F|=(q^2/a^2)(a/y)^3(1-a^2/y^2)^{-2}##
    but when I tried solving it by calculating the total force acting on the surface of the sphere I got a different answer!!
    the force acing on an element area of the sphere is ##F=(σ^2/ε)da## where ##da=asin\gamma d\gamma dφ##
    Then ##F=(1/ε)\int_0^π\int_0^{2π}asin\gamma d\gamma dφσ^2=##
    ##\frac {q^2a^3}{16π^2ε} \int_0^π \frac { (y^2/a^2 -1)^2sin(\gamma) d\gamma}{(y^2 +a^2 -2yacos(\gamma))^3} \int_0^{2π}dφ=##
    ##\frac {(q^2a^3)}{8πε}\int_0^π \frac { (y^2/a^2 -1)^2 sin\gamma d\gamma}{(y^2 +a^2 -2yacos\gamma)^3}##
    Let ##A=(y^2 +a^2-2yacos\gamma)##
    ##dA=2yasin\gamma d\gamma##
    then##F=(q^2a^3/8πε)(y^2/a^2-1)^2(1/2ya)\int_{y^2+a^2-2ya}^{y^2+a^2+2ya}dA/A^3##
    The answer finally will be ##\frac {q^2a^2}{-32πε}(1/a^2 -1/y^2)[1/(y+a)^4 -1/(y-a)^4]##
    which is different from the answer above, what went wrong?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2017 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why did you pick the derivative with respect to x? Why not y or z? Remember that σ is a scalar and E is a vector. Check your textbook to see what the actual expression is.

4. Oct 26, 2017 #3

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think the OP is correct here. The notation seems to be that of Jackson's text. x represents the magnitude of the position vector, ##\mathbf x##, of the field point, not the ##x## coordinate of the point. Most people would use r where Jackson uses x. Definitely can be confusing.

5. Oct 26, 2017 #4

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK, I think I see it now. It is definitely confusing in view of OP's posted equation
    ##Φ(x)=\frac {q}{4πε} [ \frac {1}{\sqrt {y^2+x^2-2yxcos(\gamma)} } -\frac{1}{\sqrt {a^2+y^2x^2/a^2 -2yxcos(\gamma)} }]##
    in which the meaning of ##x## on the left is different from the meaning of ##x## on the right. Furthermore, despite OP's assertion, this equation is not in spherical coordinates. If ##x## on the left is to be interpreted as ##r##, then on the right side ##x## appears in the wrong places and ##y## has no place at all.

6. Oct 26, 2017 #5

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The ##x## on the left should be in bold face as it represents the position vector of the field point. The ##x## on the right is the magnitude of this vector.

##\mathbf y## is the position vector of charge ##q## and ##y## is the magnitude of this vector. ##\gamma## is the angle between the two vectors ##\mathbf x## and ##\mathbf y##.

7. Oct 26, 2017 #6

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Thanks. I see it now.

8. Oct 27, 2017 #7
    Sorry I didn't specify the vectors and the magnitudes.They are like how @TSny mentioned them.
    I meant by E here the magnitude of E and not the vector. Sorry I was not clear.
    So what goes wrong in part (c) what I did wrong?

9. Oct 27, 2017 #8

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You need to take into account that the force on a patch of area ##da## is a vector quantity. The direction of the force is different for different patches.

The magnitude of the force on area ##da## is ##\frac{\sigma^2}{2 \varepsilon} da## with a factor of 2 in the denominator.

[Edit: Also, check your expression for the area element ##da##. It doesn't have the dimensions of area.]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted