Derivative of position question

In summary, the position of a flying dragonfly can be described by the function r⃗ =[2.90m+(0.0900m/s2)t^2]i^− (0.0150m/s3)t^3j^ . To find the value of t at which the velocity vector of the insect makes an angle of 30.0 ∘ clockwise from the x-axis, we can take the derivative of the position vector and use the tangent function to solve for t. The correct value for t is 69.28.
jasonchiang97

Homework Statement

Q:
The position of a dragonfly that is flying parallel to the ground is given as a function of time by r⃗ =[2.90m+(0.0900m/s2)t^2]i^− (0.0150m/s3)t^3j^ .

At what value of t does the velocity vector of the insect make an angle of 30.0 ∘ clockwise from the x-axis?

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did so far: Well I'm pretty sure the first step is to take the derivative of the position vector. I did that and got (0.18t)i^2-(0.045t^2)j^2.

I tried to use tan30=0.18t/0.048t^2 and solve for t

I get t=69.28 but I'm not sure if that is 100% correct

Physics news on Phys.org
Check this part of the question:

At what value of t does the velocity vector of the insect make an angle of 30.0 ∘ clockwise from the x-axis?

What can you defer from this?

Also,
I believe your evaluation of "t" has some mistakes.

never mind I got it

was trying to do it too fast and ended up making a careless mistake

thanks

Likes RJLiberator

What is the derivative of position?

The derivative of position is the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time. It is also known as velocity.

How do you calculate the derivative of position?

The derivative of position can be calculated by taking the derivative of the position function, which is the equation that describes the object's position as a function of time.

What does the derivative of position represent?

The derivative of position represents the instantaneous velocity of an object at a specific time. It tells us how fast and in what direction the object is moving at that moment.

Why is the derivative of position important?

The derivative of position is important because it helps us understand the motion of objects. By analyzing the derivative of position, we can determine the speed, direction, and acceleration of an object at any given time.

What are some real-life applications of the derivative of position?

The derivative of position is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is applied in analyzing the motion of objects, designing and optimizing systems, and predicting changes in stock prices. It is also used in everyday situations, such as calculating the speed of a car or the rate of change of a person's position while walking.