Derive gen sol of non-homogeneous DEs through linear algebra

In summary, the solution of a homogeneous linear second order DE can be interpreted as the kernel of a linear transformation. The general solution of a nonhomogeneous DE is given by adding the particular solution to the homogeneous solution. The solution space of a non-homogeneous DE is isomorphic to the solution space of the corresponding homogeneous DE, with the particular solution acting as a displacement from the kernel. The specific solution vector can be considered as the "Pseudo-Origin" of the non-homogeneous equation's solution space, in a similar way to how the 0 vector is the origin of the homogeneous equation's solution space.
Kevin Qi
Hello,
I noticed that the solution of a homogeneous linear second order DE can be interpreted as the kernel of a linear transformation.
It can also be easily shown that the general solution, Ygeneral, of a nonhomogenous DE is given by:
Ygeneral = Yhomogeneous + Yparticular

My question: Is it possible to arrive at the above result by using arguments involving the relationship between the kernel, column space, row space, etc of the linear differential operator of a DE?

My current attempt: The solution space of a non-homogeneous DE is isomorphic to the solution space (kernel) of the corresponding homogeneous DE, and is "displaced" from the kernel by the vector, Yparticular. Hence Ygeneral could be constructing by adding any Yparticular back to the Yparticular.

My solution is probably pretty flawed, and I have no idea how I can justify it. Could someone please enlighten me (or tell me that my question is dumb)? :D

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
The set of all solutions to an nth order linear homogeneous equation is an n dimensional vector space. That can be visualized as an n dimensional "hyper-plane" containing the origin. If v is a specific solution then adding v to every member of that hyper-plane gives a hyper-plane that does not contain the origin.

Hi HallsofIvy,
Thanks for taking the time to help me!
Just to make sure that I got this right: Can you say that the specific solution vector is the "Pseudo-Origin" of the non-homogeneous equation' solution space, in the same way the 0 vector is the origin of the homogeneous equation's solution space?

1. What is a non-homogeneous differential equation (DE)?

A non-homogeneous DE is a type of differential equation that contains both dependent and independent variables, as well as a function that is not equal to zero. This function is known as the forcing function, and it differentiates a non-homogeneous DE from a homogeneous one.

2. How can linear algebra be used to derive the general solution of a non-homogeneous DE?

Linear algebra can be used to solve non-homogeneous DEs by transforming them into a system of linear equations. This involves using matrices and Gaussian elimination to find the general solution for the dependent variable.

3. What are the steps involved in solving a non-homogeneous DE using linear algebra?

The steps for solving a non-homogeneous DE using linear algebra are:

1. Transforming the DE into a system of linear equations
  2. Writing the system of equations in matrix form
  3. Performing Gaussian elimination to solve for the coefficients
  4. Using the coefficients to find the general solution for the dependent variable

4. Can linear algebra be used to solve any type of non-homogeneous DE?

Yes, linear algebra can be used to solve any type of non-homogeneous DE. However, the process may vary depending on the complexity of the DE and the specific techniques used.

5. What are the benefits of using linear algebra to solve non-homogeneous DEs?

Using linear algebra to solve non-homogeneous DEs allows for a systematic and efficient method of finding the general solution. It also provides a deeper understanding of the relationship between the dependent and independent variables in the DE.