1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derive tidal force upon star (approximation: divide star in 2)

1. Dec 23, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Spherical,homogeneous star with radius R orbiting black hole at distance ## r_p >>R ## .Derive the tidal force acting upon the star by dividing the star into two equal parts and making the necessary approximations.

2. Relevant equations
    The tidal force equation of ## a \propto \frac{ R }{ {r_p}^3} ## is not a given.
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I calculated the force acting on the nearest and farthest hemisphere from the black hole.
    Nearest: ##dF_1= \frac{G M_o dm}{{(r_p-R+r)}^2} ## where ## M_o ## is the mass of the black hole and ## dm= \rho \pi r^2 dr ## the mass of a disk with thickness dr . By integrating from 0 to R I got ## F_1= \frac{3GM_o M(2r_p-R)}{4r_p R^2} ##.
    For the farthest hemisphere ## dF_2=\frac{G M_o dm}{{(r_p+R-r)}^2} \Longrightarrow F_2= \frac{3GM_o M(2r_p+R)}{4r_p R^2} ##
    By substracting these,I get the tidal force ## \Delta F= F_1-F_2=\frac{3}{2} \frac{GM_oM}{R r_p} ## which is definitely not in agreement with the actual physics of the problem,since it should be proportional to R.
    Can someone point me to where I went wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You seem to have defined r here as the distance from the point of the star nearest the black hole to the disk. The disk's radius will not be r.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted