Deriving B(r) from Ampere's law - For tomorrow (02/23)

In summary, the conversation involves a problem where the goal is to show the equation B(r) = \frac{1}{2}\mu_0 (J x r) from Ampere's law \nabla x B = \mu_0 J. The problem presents difficulties and the person seeking help is struggling to remember vector identities. The question also involves the use of Ampere's Law in finding the magnetic field in a hole of a circular conducting rod with a current I distributed uniformly over its cross-section. The conversation ends with the person asking for a double-check of their solution.
El Hombre Invisible
Hello again everyone

Part of a problem I've been set is to show that the equation:

B(r) = [tex]\frac{1}{2}\mu_0[/tex] (J x r)

from Ampere's law:

[tex]\nabla[/tex] x B = [tex]\mu_0[/tex] J.

The problem presents no... uh... problem thereafter, but I'm at a loss where to begin. I've been playing around with random vector identities for a while but I'm rubbish at remembering these things, my notes are in mayhem and my textbooks aren't helping. If I could get a hint where to start, that would be great.

Oh, and this is for tomorrow, so quite urgent.

Cheers,

El Hombre

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not checking

[tex] \nabla \times \left(\frac{1}{2}\mu_{0} \vec{J}\times\vec{r}\right)\neq \mu_{0}\vec{J} [/tex]

Tell me about it. I'll copy the full question out, see if anything flies.

Use of Ampere's Law

A long circular rod of radius R, made of conducting material, has a cylindrical hole of radius a bored parallel to its axis and displaced from the centre of the rod by a distance d. The rod carries a current I distributed uniformly over its cross-section.

Consider the superposition of two currents flowing in opposite directions, and hence show that the magnetic field in the hole is uniform and equation to:

B = [tex]\frac{\mu_0 d I}{2 \pi (R^2 - a^2)}[/tex]

[Hint: Deduce from Ampere's law that B(r) = [tex]\frac{1}{2}\mu_0[/tex](j x r) for each current, where j is the current density, and determine the appropriate origin of r].

First part, finding J, is easy enough. I = j.ds = j[tex]\pi (R^2 - a^2)[/tex] gives j in terms of I as required for the final equation.

Last edited:
Jesus, the number of times I've had to edit that post.

dextercioby said:
It's not checking

[tex] \nabla \times \left(\frac{1}{2}\mu_{0} \vec{J}\times\vec{r}\right)\neq \mu_{0}\vec{J} [/tex]

Actually, expanding this it might be okay. Could you (or someone) double-check this for me please?

Starting the wrong way round, if:

B(r) = [tex]\frac{1}{2}\mu_0[/tex](J x r)

then:

[tex]\nabla[/tex] x B = [tex]\frac{1}{2}\mu_{0} \nabla[/tex] x (J x r)

= [tex]\frac{1}{2}\mu_0[/tex]( J ([tex]\nabla[/tex].r) - r ([tex]\nabla[/tex].j)).

Now since each current is independant of position in the rod and is uniform everywhere, the amount of charge in any given volume element must stay the same, so [tex]\nabla[/tex].j = 0:

[tex]\nabla[/tex] x B = [tex]\frac{1}{2}\mu_0[/tex]( J ([tex] \frac{1}{r}\frac{d}{dr}r^2 [/tex]))

= [tex]\frac{1}{2}\mu_0[/tex] * 2J

= [tex]\mu_0[/tex]J,

which is Ampere's law. Not that in a million years I would ever think to do that the other way round, but does it look okay?

Many thanks,

El Hombre

P.S. It'll take me another 20 minutes to sort out the LaTex problems so if this is incomprehensible, make a cuppa and please come back!
P.P.S. Wow! Other than consistently spelling nabla 'nable', I did alright. 'Slike riding a bike.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of deriving B(r) from Ampere's law?

The purpose of deriving B(r) from Ampere's law is to determine the magnetic field strength at a specific distance from a current-carrying wire or conductor. This allows us to calculate the magnetic force on a charged particle at that point and understand the behavior of magnetic fields in different situations.

2. How is B(r) derived from Ampere's law?

B(r) can be derived from Ampere's law by using the integral form of the law, which relates the magnetic field to the current enclosed by a closed loop. By choosing a specific loop and rearranging the equation, we can solve for B(r) at a given distance from the current source.

3. What are the assumptions made when deriving B(r) from Ampere's law?

The main assumptions made when deriving B(r) from Ampere's law include a steady current flow, a straight and infinitely long current-carrying wire, and a closed loop that encloses the wire. In addition, the material surrounding the current must have a constant permeability in order for the equation to hold.

4. Can B(r) be calculated for any shape of current-carrying wire?

Yes, B(r) can be calculated for any shape of current-carrying wire as long as the wire is infinitely long and the current is constant. The shape of the wire may affect the direction and distribution of the magnetic field, but the strength of the field at a given distance can still be determined using Ampere's law.

5. How is the direction of B(r) determined from Ampere's law?

The direction of B(r) can be determined by using the right-hand rule. If the current in the wire is flowing in the direction of your thumb, then the magnetic field will wrap around the wire in the direction of your curled fingers. The direction of B(r) will be perpendicular to both the wire and the loop used in Ampere's law.