1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving Capacitor Voltage for a Discharging Capacitor

1. Apr 7, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm trying to derive the voltage waveform across the capacitor for a discharging capacitor that has been fully charged by a DC power supply ##v_0##, i.e. ##v_c(t=0)=v_0## and then at ##t=0## the switch is flipped and the capacitor starts to discharge.
    RC.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

From KVL we obtain
    $$v_c=\frac{q}{c}=iR$$
    Taking the time derivative of this and since capacitor is discharging ##-\frac{dq}{dt}=i##... $$-\frac{i}{RC}=\frac{di}{dt}\\ -\int_0^t \frac{dt}{RC}=\int_{i_0}^{i}\frac{di}{i}\\ -\frac{t}{RC}=\ln (\frac{i}{i_0})\\ i=i_0e^{-\frac{t}{RC}}$$
    Now to solve for ##i_0## at t=0 ##\frac{q}{c}=i_0Re^{-\frac{t}{RC}}## becomes $$\frac{v_0}{c}=i_0R\\ i_0=\frac{v_0}{RC}\Longrightarrow i=\frac{v_0}{RC}e^{-\frac{t}{RC}}$$
    Finally from KVL $$v_c=iR=\frac{v_0}{C}e^{-\frac{t}{RC}}$$

which is not the correct answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2016 #2

cnh1995

Homework Helper

Of course it isn't. You can see it is dimensionally incorrect.(Vo/C doesn't give voltage).
    Where does this come from?

4. Apr 8, 2016 #3
    I got that from the KVL equation (q/c=ir) and at t=0 so ##\frac{q(0)}{c}=i(0)R##

5. Apr 8, 2016 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Q/C=Vo, not Vo/C .

6. Apr 8, 2016 #5
    Whoops, after making the proper substitution then we get ##i_0=\frac{v_0}{R}\Longrightarrow i=\frac{v_0}{R}e^{-\frac{t}{RC}}\Longrightarrow V_c=iR=v_0e^{-\frac{t}{RC}}## which is the correct expression :)

7. Apr 8, 2016 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is useful to check the dimensions during a derivation. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted