Deriving Equations of a Parabola

In summary, the conversation discusses how to derive the equations of a parabola from the general equation of a Conic Section. The general equation is given, along with the specific constraints for a parabola. Two methods are suggested for finding the principal axes and rotating the coordinate system, which would result in a simplified form for a parabola. However, the question is raised whether the specific forms can be derived from the general equation.
PFStudent
Hey,

Homework Statement

How do you derive the equations of the parabola from the general equation of a Conic Section?

Homework Equations

General Equation of a Conic Section,
[tex]
{{{A}{{x}^{2}}}+{{B}{x}{y}}+{{C}{{y}^{2}}}+{{D}{x}}+{{E}{y}}+{F}} = {0}
[/tex]

Where (for a parabola),
[tex]
{{\{}A,B,C,D,E,F{\}}}{{\,}{\,}{\,}}{\in}{{\,}{\,}{\,}}{\mathbb{R}}
[/tex]
[tex]
{{\{}A, C{\}}}{{\,}{\,}{\,}}{\neq}{{\,}{\,}{\,}}{0}
[/tex]
[tex]
{{{B}^{2}}-{{4}{A}{C}}} = {0}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

From the general equation of a Conic Section,
[tex]
[/tex]

How do I derive the following formulas for a parabola:
General Form for a Parabola,
[tex]
{{{{\left(}{{{H}{x}}+{{I}{y}}}{\right)}}^{2}}+{{J}{x}}+{{K}{y}}+{L}} = {0}
[/tex]
Where,
[tex]
{{{I}^{2}}-{{4}{H}{J}}} = {0}
[/tex]

Analytic Geometry Equations,
Vertical Axis of Symmetry
[tex]
{{{\left(}x-h{\right)}}^{2}} = {{{4}{p}}{{{\left(}y-k}{\right)}}}
[/tex]
[tex]
{y} = {{{a}{{x}^{2}}}+{{b}{x}}+{c}}
[/tex]
Horiztonal Axis of Symmetry
[tex]
{{{\left(}y-k{\right)}}^{2}} = {{{4}{p}}{{{\left(}x-h{\right)}}}}
[/tex]
[tex]
{x} = {{{d}{{y}^{2}}}+{{e}{y}}+{f}}
[/tex]

I read that every parabola is a combination of transformations of the parabola, [tex]{{y}={{x}^{2}}}[/tex]; but I'm not quite sure how that helps.

Thanks,

-PFStudent

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not precisely sure of what exactly you are supposed to do, but the only way that the quadratic terms Ax^2+Bxy+Cy^2 can be factored as (Hx+Iy)^2 is that B^2-4AC=0. Just multiply (Hx+Iy)^2 out and identify the terms. Does that help?

PFStudent said:
Hey,

Homework Statement

How do you derive the equations of the parabola from the general equation of a Conic Section?

Homework Equations

General Equation of a Conic Section,
[tex]
[/tex]

Where (for a parabola),
[tex]
{{\{}A,B,C,D,E,F{\}}}{{\,}{\,}{\,}}{\in}{{\,}{\,}{\,}}{\mathbb{R}}
[/tex]
[tex]
{{\{}A, C{\}}}{{\,}{\,}{\,}}{\neq}{{\,}{\,}{\,}}{0}
[/tex]
[tex]
{{{B}^{2}}-{{4}{A}{C}}} = {0}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

From the general equation of a Conic Section,
[tex]
[/tex]

How do I derive the following formulas for a parabola:
General Form for a Parabola,
[tex]
{{{{\left(}{{{H}{x}}+{{I}{y}}}{\right)}}^{2}}+{{J}{x}}+{{K}{y}}+{L}} = {0}
[/tex]
Where,
[tex]
{{{I}^{2}}-{{4}{H}{J}}} = {0}
[/tex]

Analytic Geometry Equations,
Vertical Axis of Symmetry
[tex]
{{{\left(}x-h{\right)}}^{2}} = {{{4}{p}}{{{\left(}y-k}{\right)}}}
[/tex]
[tex]
{y} = {{{a}{{x}^{2}}}+{{b}{x}}+{c}}
[/tex]
Horiztonal Axis of Symmetry
[tex]
{{{\left(}y-k{\right)}}^{2}} = {{{4}{p}}{{{\left(}x-h{\right)}}}}
[/tex]
[tex]
{x} = {{{d}{{y}^{2}}}+{{e}{y}}+{f}}
[/tex]

I read that every parabola is a combination of transformations of the parabola, [tex]{{y}={{x}^{2}}}[/tex]; but I'm not quite sure how that helps.

Thanks,

-PFStudent
First you need to find the "principal axes" (axis of symmetry and perpenpendicular to it through the vertex) and rotate the coordinate system so that new x' and y' axes are the principal axes.

There are two ways to do that, basically using the quadratic terms [itex]Ax^2+ Bxy+ Cx^2[/itex] (By the way, you don't have to put braces, { }, around every term. They are only necessary when you want an entire expression in a particular place. For example, [i t e x]e^{xy+ b}[/i t e x] gives [itex]e^{xy+ b}[/itex] while [i t e x]e^xy+ b[/i t e x] gives [itex]e^xy+ b[/itex].)

Rotating the axes by angle [itex]\theta[/itex], so that the new x'y'- axes are at angle [itex]\theta[/itex] to the old xy- axex, x and y are given, in terms of the new x', y' variables, by [itex]x= x'cos(\theta)+ y'sin(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]y= -x'sin(\theta)+ y'cos(\theta). Replace x and y by those in [itex]Ax^2+ Bxy+ Cx^2[/itex] and choose [/itex]\theta[/itex] so that the coefficient of x'y' is 0. Use those formulas with the correct value of [itex]\theta[/itex] to replace x and y in the entire formula. If it really is a parabola, both the x'y' and y'2 terms should vanish.

The other way is to write it as a matrix problem:
[tex]Ax^2+ Bxy+ Cy^2= \left[\begin{array}{cc}x & y \end{array}\right]\left[\begin{array}{cc}A & \frac{B}{2} \\ \frac{B}{2} & C\end{array}\right]\left[\begin{array}{c}x \\ y\end{array}\right][/tex]

You can "diagonalize" that matrix (so writing the quadratic without the xy term) by finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the coefficient matrix. The eigenvectors will point along the principal axes. Since this is a parabola, one of the eigenvalues should be 0.

Hey,

Thanks for the replies: Dick and HallsofIvy.

Dick said:
I'm not precisely sure of what exactly you are supposed to do, but the only way that the quadratic terms Ax^2+Bxy+Cy^2 can be factored as (Hx+Iy)^2 is that B^2-4AC=0. Just multiply (Hx+Iy)^2 out and identify the terms. Does that help?
Yea, to be honest I had not seen that general form for a parabola before until I saw it on wikipedia, maybe it is wrong? - here is the link, (Scroll down a bit to the section "General Parabola").

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parabola

Let me know what you think.

HallsofIvy said:
First you need to find the "principal axes" (axis of symmetry and perpenpendicular to it through the vertex) and rotate the coordinate system so that new x' and y' axes are the principal axes.

There are two ways to do that, basically using the quadratic terms [itex]Ax^2+ Bxy+ Cx^2[/itex] (By the way, you don't have to put braces, { }, around every term.
Hmm, ok that makes sense, I will try that. However, I thought since a parabola - in its' most general form - could be expressed as a conic section with the constraint that [tex]{{B^2} = {4AC}}[/tex]. Then shouldn't I be able to derive the more specific forms of a parabola from the general equation of a conic section with the constraint that [tex]{{B^2} = {4AC}}[/tex]?

Where the general equation of a Conic Section is,
[tex]
[/tex]

Also, yea I tend to use a bit too many braces ({ }), just a habit from first learning [itex]LaTeX[/itex] way back. :redface:

Thanks,

-PFStudent

1. What is a parabola?

A parabola is a type of curved mathematical shape that is symmetric around a line called the axis of symmetry. It can be described as the graph of a quadratic function, and it has a U-shape.

2. How do you derive an equation for a parabola?

The equation for a parabola can be derived using the general form of a quadratic equation, which is y = ax^2 + bx + c. This equation can be rearranged and substituted with known points on the parabola to solve for the values of a, b, and c.

3. What are the different forms of the equation of a parabola?

There are three main forms of the equation of a parabola: standard form, vertex form, and intercept form. Standard form is y = ax^2 + bx + c, vertex form is y = a(x-h)^2 + k, and intercept form is y = a(x-p)(x-q), where (h,k) is the coordinates of the vertex and (p,q) are the x-intercepts.

4. How do you find the vertex of a parabola?

The vertex of a parabola can be found by using the formula (-b/2a, c - b^2/4a), where a, b, and c are the coefficients of the quadratic equation. This formula gives the coordinates of the vertex in standard form.

5. What are some real-life applications of parabolas?

Parabolas are commonly used in physics and engineering to model the paths of projectiles, such as a thrown ball or a rocket. They are also used in architecture and design to create curved structures, and in economics to model profit and cost functions.