Deriving force from momentum using d(mv)/dt

In summary, the equation for momentum accumulation in the ejecta from a rocket is:$$\sum F_{ext} = \left( M_r + M_f \right) \frac{dv_r}{dt}+ \frac{dM_f}{dt} v_{e/r}$$
Mohmmad Maaitah
Homework Statement
How did we Derive force from momentum
Relevant Equations
F=ma
P=mv
F=dp/dt
How did the d(mv)/dt become the other two?
Can someone explain how do we derive for new formulas in physics?
1684395405867.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Product rule of differentiation

Likes MatinSAR
malawi_glenn said:
malawi_glenn said:
Thank you I just missed it.

You need to be very careful using this ##dp=m.dv+v.dm## form.
Consider e.g. a water tank mass m speed v leaking water at rate ##\rho##. If we blindly apply that formula we get ##\dot p= m\dot v+v\dot m=ma-v\rho##. Since there appear to be no external forces we might conclude ##ma=v\rho##, so the tank is accelerating.
The flaw is that the leaking water carries momentum away with it, which should be represented as an external force ##-v\rho##. Plugging that in gives ##a=0##.

My advice: don’t use it.

Likes PeroK, malawi_glenn, BvU and 1 other person
haruspex said:
You need to be very careful using this ##dp=m.dv+v.dm## form.
Consider e.g. a water tank mass m speed v leaking water at rate ##\rho##. If we blindly apply that formula we get ##\dot p= m\dot v+v\dot m=ma-v\rho##. Since there appear to be no external forces we might conclude ##ma=v\rho##, so the tank is accelerating.
The flaw is that the leaking water carries momentum away with it, which should be represented as an external force ##-v\rho##. Plugging that in gives ##a=0##.

My advice: don’t use it.
So why do rockets work? I do not understand the point you are trying to make.

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK and MatinSAR
Frabjous said:
So why do rockets work? I do not understand the point you are trying to make.
You can solve rocketry questions using conservation of momentum quite easily without using that equation explicitly. In time ##\delta t## a mass of fuel ##\mu \delta t## is ejected at speed ##u## relative to the craft of remaining mass ##m##. ##m\delta v=u\mu\delta t##. This leads to ##v=u\ln(\frac{m_0}{m-\mu t})## as desired.

You can argue that I am effectively using the equation, but quoting the equation and then trying to apply it has pitfalls, such as the one I outlined. In the rocketry context, what exactly is the system which m represents?

Likes PeroK and MatinSAR
@Frabjous
erobz said:
Just for clarity, correcting post #11 using the proper way to capture the accumulation of momentum in the ejecta from @anuttarasammyak:

$$\sum F_{ext} = \frac{d}{dt} \left( p_{\rm{rocket}} + p_{\rm{fuel}} + p_{\rm{ejecta}} \right)$$

Mass of the rocket is constant ##M_r##

The mass of fuel lost from the rocket is gained by the ejecta ## \frac{dM_e}{dt} = -\frac{dM_f}{dt}##

The velocity of the ejecta in the rest frame is ##v_{e/O} = v_r - v_{e/r}## and is constant after being ejected, but the momentum of the ejecta is accumulating, hence:

$$\sum F_{ext} = \frac{d}{dt} \left( M_r v_r + M_f v_r + \int \frac{dM_e}{dt}( v_r - v_{e/r}) ~dt \right)$$

Applying the derivative:

$$\sum F_{ext} = \overbrace{\left( M_r\frac{dv_r}{dt} \right)}^{\rm {rocket}} +\overbrace{\left(M_f\frac{dv_r}{dt} + \frac{dM_f}{dt}v_r\right)}^{\rm{fuel}}+ \overbrace{ \frac{dM_e}{dt}( v_r - v_{e/r})}^{\rm{ejecta}} $$

$$\sum F_{ext} = \left( M_r + M_f \right) \frac{dv_r}{dt}+ \cancel{ \left( \frac{dM_f}{dt}v_r + \frac{dM_e}{dt}v_r \right)}^0 -\frac{dM_e}{dt} v_{e/r}$$

The Rocket Equation:

$$ \sum F_{ext} = \left( M_r + M_f \right) \frac{dv_r}{dt} + \frac{dM_f}{dt} v_{e/r}$$

The issue comes up often about taking ##F = \frac{dp}{dt} = \frac{d}{dt} \big( mv \big)##.

We (several posters) took the time not too long ago to figure out how to apply it for "The Rocket Equation". I think this is what @haruspex means by "you have to be careful". It wasn't immediately obvious how to get it to work out.

The whole exchange:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...oblem-confused-about-newtons-2nd-law.1050482/

Likes PeroK, Frabjous and MatinSAR

1. What is the equation for deriving force from momentum using d(mv)/dt?

The equation for deriving force from momentum using d(mv)/dt is F = dp/dt, where F represents force, p represents momentum, and t represents time.

2. How does this equation relate to Newton's Second Law of Motion?

This equation is directly related to Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to the rate of change of its momentum. In other words, the change in momentum over time is equal to the force applied to the object.

3. What are the units of measurement for force and momentum in this equation?

The units of measurement for force and momentum in this equation are kilogram-meters per second squared (kg*m/s^2) for force and kilogram-meters per second (kg*m/s) for momentum.

4. Can this equation be used to calculate the force acting on an object at a specific moment in time?

Yes, this equation can be used to calculate the force acting on an object at a specific moment in time, as long as the momentum of the object is known and the rate of change of momentum can be determined.

5. Are there any limitations to using this equation to derive force from momentum?

One limitation of using this equation is that it only applies to objects with constant mass. It also assumes that the force acting on the object is constant over time. Additionally, this equation does not take into account other factors such as friction or air resistance, which may affect the object's momentum.