Confused on whether this counts as an external torque

laser
Homework Statement
Posted in description
Relevant Equations
Tension in this case is Mg, which is equal to centripetal force, mv^2/r
1701686067504.png

For part (d), there is the formula a = v^2/r I can use. Note that Mg = mv^2/r, we have two unknowns, v and r. I can solve this if conservation of angular momentum is true, i.e. mvr = constant. I am not convinced I can use this however, because is increasing M torque?

My idea is that it is an external torque, because by the right hand rule, torque points along the axis which M is acting on.

How can I solve this problem?

(This problem comes from a past exam paper, which the physics department will not provide help with)

Physics news on Phys.org
laser said:
because is increasing M torque?
What torque? The force from the string on the mass m is radial.

Likes laser
Damn, you're right. I kind of forgot their configuration. Thanks!

Orodruin said:
What torque? The force from the string on the mass m is radial.
One more doubt: The conservation of angular momentum is valid if there are no external torques. Even though this torque is not interfering with the motion of the object rotating in a circle, there is still an external torque being applied to the system (radially). Why can we still say the conservation of angular momentum is constant? Is it only constant in the plane that m rotates in?

laser said:
Even though this torque is not interfering with the motion of the object rotating in a circle, there is still an external torque being applied to the system (radially).
There is no torque
Consider a force F and some point P (which can be anywhere).

Let d be the perpendicular (shortest) distance between F's line-of-action and P.

The magnitude of the torque (about P) is Fd.

But if P lies on the force's line-of-action, then d=0. In this case, the torque about P is Fd = Fx0 = 0.

In the current question, the tension acting on the mass is radial - it acts through the centre of rotation: so d=0 making the torque (about the centre of rotation) zero.

Consider trying to open a screw-top cap on bottle using a radial force! There is zero torque about the centre of rotation and the cap doesn't turn. You need a tangential force (or component of force) to create a torque.

Likes laser

1. Does an external torque involve forces acting on an object?

Yes, an external torque refers to the rotational force applied to an object from an external source. This force can come from various sources such as gravity, friction, or applied forces.

2. How can I determine if a torque is external or internal?

To determine if a torque is external, you need to consider whether the force causing the rotation originates from outside the system. If the force is generated within the system itself, it is considered an internal torque.

3. Can an external torque change the rotational motion of an object?

Yes, an external torque can alter the rotational motion of an object by causing it to speed up, slow down, or change direction. This is due to the external force's ability to change the object's angular momentum.

4. Is friction considered an external torque?

Friction is typically considered an external torque because it arises from the interaction between the object and its environment. Friction can create a torque that opposes the object's rotation, affecting its overall motion.

5. What are some examples of external torques in everyday situations?

Examples of external torques in everyday situations include a door being pushed or pulled open, a wrench turning a bolt, or a person swinging a baseball bat. In each case, an external force is applied to create rotational motion in the object.