Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving inverse tans from complex product?

1. Apr 15, 2007 #1
    I am supposed to derive [itex]4\,\arctan \left( 1/5 \right) -\arctan \left( {\frac {1}{239}}
    \right) [/itex] from the complex product of [itex]\left( 1+i \right) \left( 5-i \right) ^{4}[/itex] I do see how the argument of product of the complex expression is equal to pi/4 - 4 arctan(1/5) but I am totally lost. SO how am I supposed to approach this? Thanks heaps in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2007 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Well You have to equate to long way and the short way :D

You already established that the argument to the complex product is [itex]\frac{\pi}{4} -4\arctan \frac{1}{5}[/itex]

What you had to do next is have the pleasure of EXPANDING YOUR PRODUCT. Binomial theorem is just too much of a hassle this time. Write the product as
    [tex](5-i)^{2^2}\cdot(1+i)[/tex]. So just square 5-i, 2 times, and multiply that by 1+i.

FUN FUN, I did it for you :P You get : 956-4i . The argument of this is arctan (-4/956)= - arctan (1/239) . Isn't that interesting?

4. Apr 16, 2007 #3
    And here I thought I'd never have to multiply the hard way after learning the polar form. Thanks heaps again =)

5. Apr 16, 2007 #4

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?