Deriving Moment of Inertia for a Uniform Rod Rotating about a Non-Center Axis

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 6K views
turdferguson
Messages
312
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A uniform rod of mass M and length L is free to rotate about a horizontal axis perpendicular to the rod and through one end. A) Find the period of oscillation for small angular displacements. B) Find the period if the axis is a distance x from the center of mass

Homework Equations


I = summation(Mx^2)
T restoring = k*theta = mgtheta*x
period = 2pi*root(I/k)

The Attempt at a Solution


The first part is no problem. I = 1/3ML^2 and the restoring constant is LMg/2. T = 2pi*root(2L/3G)

For the second part, I know that mgtheta acts at the distance x, but how do I derive moment of inertia for an axis x distance from the com? I know it changes with the axis and it has to fall inbetween 1/3ML^2 and 1/12ML^2. But I am not familliar with the integration that goes into deriving I.

Should I leave it as 2pi*root(newI/xMg) ?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
turdferguson said:
For the second part, I know that mgtheta acts at the distance x, but how do I derive moment of inertia for an axis x distance from the com?

This should help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_axis_theorem" .
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot. So the period is 2pi*root[(1/12L^2 + x^2)/(gx)]