Deriving probability distributions

In summary, when a random variable X follows a Gamma distribution with parameters \alpha and \beta, and \alpha is a random variable following a Binomial distribution, the distribution of X can be represented as a summation over all possible values of \alpha. However, if X is a continuous distribution, the summation should be replaced with an integral. This can be a bit confusing, but understanding the concept of conditional probability and marginal distribution can help in calculating the distribution of X. Additionally, if \alpha follows a Poisson distribution, it can lead to an interesting and challenging distribution for X.
bioman
Suppose I had a random variable, X, that followed a Gamma distribution.
A Gamma distribution can be defined as [tex] \Gamma(\alpha,\beta) [/tex], where [tex]\alpha[/tex] and [tex]\beta[/tex] are the 'scale' and 'shape' parameters.
Now suppose if [tex]\alpha[/tex] was a random variable, say following a binomial distribution, how would I then represent the distribution of X.

I was thinking that since the parameter [tex]\alpha[/tex] now represents a random variable, the distribution of X, would simply be a binomial distribution multiplied by a Gamma distribution?
Would it be correct to do this??

Physics news on Phys.org
No. That is wrong.

[tex]X|\alpha[/tex] is distributed as [tex]\Gamma(\alpha,\beta)[/tex] and [tex]\alpha[/tex] is distributed as Bin(n,p).

Therefore, [tex]f(X=x|\alpha)f_\alpha(\alpha)=f_{(x,\alpha)}(x,\alpha)[/tex].

Now, to get the distribution of x, you just sum over all alpha. That is,

[tex]f_x(x)=\sum_{i=0}^nf(X=x|\alpha=i)f_\alpha(\alpha=i)[/tex].

I'm not sure what this distribution is as I haven't calculated it yet. I doubt it will reduce to something familiar.

However! If alpha was distributed as poisson then it becomes an interesting distribution which is a really good exercise.

If you don't understand any of this just say so.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help ZioX, much appreciated!
I had a feeling I wasn't doing it right... but I'm not too sure I fully understand what you're doing. I think I get the gist of what you're doing, but just getting a bit bogged down with the mathematical notation you're using.

So firstly I presume that
[tex]X|\alpha[/tex]
means "the random variable X given alpha"?
But what exactly, (in words), do you mean by
[tex]f(X=x|\alpha)f_\alpha(\alpha)=f_{(x,\alpha)}(x,\alpha)[/tex]

Also, I'm curious as to why you say, it would be interesting if alpha was distributed as Poisson, as this is one of the cases I will also be looking at!
Is there some standard distribution that comes out when you use a Poisson??

I'm slightly confused about the answer that's given here. I needed to find the distribution of [tex]X|\alpha[/tex], where [tex]X|\alpha[/tex] is distributed as a Gamma, [tex]\Gamma(\alpha,\beta)[/tex], and [tex]\alpha[/tex] is distributed as Bin(n,p).

The answer was to the (marginal) distribution of X, you sum over to get [tex]f_x(x)=\sum_{i=0}^nf(X=x|\alpha=i)f_\alpha(\alpha= i)[/tex]

But if X is gamma distributed, and a gamma distribution is a continuous distribution, then shouldn't the above formulae be an intregal rather than a summation??

1. What is a probability distribution?

A probability distribution is a function that describes the likelihood of different outcomes occurring in a random experiment. It assigns a probability to each possible outcome, and the sum of all probabilities is equal to 1.

2. How do you derive a probability distribution?

To derive a probability distribution, you need to first define the random variable and identify all possible outcomes. Then, you need to assign probabilities to each outcome based on the experiment or data. Finally, you can use mathematical formulas or statistical methods to calculate the probabilities for each outcome.

3. What are some common types of probability distributions?

Some common types of probability distributions include the normal distribution, binomial distribution, Poisson distribution, and exponential distribution. Each distribution is used to model different types of data and has its own set of properties and characteristics.

4. Can you give an example of a probability distribution in real life?

Yes, the normal distribution is commonly used to model many real-life phenomena, such as heights, weights, and IQ scores. For example, the heights of adult males in a population often follow a normal distribution, with most men falling around the average height and fewer men falling at the extreme ends of the distribution.

5. How are probability distributions used in statistics?

Probability distributions are used in statistics to analyze and summarize data, make predictions and inferences, and test hypotheses. They help to understand the likelihood of different outcomes and provide a framework for making statistical decisions based on data.