Deriving Relations for Specific Heats and Susceptibilities of Magnets

  • Thread starter Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Magnets Specific
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
4,662
Reaction score
372

Homework Statement


This question is from Birger Bergerson's textbook on Equilibrium Statistical mechanics.

Derive the relations
[tex]C_H-C_M = \frac{T}{\chi_T} \bigg(\frac{\partial M}{\partial T}\bigg)^2_H[/tex]
[tex]\chi_T-\chi_S= \frac{T}{C_H} \bigg( \frac{\partial M}{\partial T}\bigg)^2_H[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\chi_T}{\chi_S} = \frac{C_H}{C_M}[/tex]

Homework Equations


[tex]C_X = T \bigg( \frac{\partial S}{\partial T} \bigg)_X[/tex]
[tex]\chi_Y = T \bigg( \frac{\partial M}{\partial H} \bigg)_Y[/tex]

Maxwell relations:
[tex]\bigg(\frac{\partial S}{\partial H}\bigg)_T = \bigg(\frac{\partial M}{\partial T}\bigg)_H[/tex]

Chain rule:
[tex]\bigg(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\bigg)_H = \bigg(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\bigg)_M + \bigg(\frac{\partial S}{\partial M}\bigg)_T \bigg(\frac{\partial M}{\partial T}\bigg)_H[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


For the first relation I get ##T^2## instead of ##T##, I'll write my solution:

[tex]C_H-C_M = T\bigg(\bigg(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\bigg)_H - \bigg(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\bigg)_M \bigg)=T\bigg(\frac{\partial S}{\partial M}\bigg)_T \bigg(\frac{\partial M}{\partial T}\bigg)_H[/tex]

Notice that ##\bigg(\frac{\partial S}{\partial M}\bigg)_T = \bigg(\frac{\partial S}{\partial H}\bigg)_T \bigg(\frac{\partial M}{\partial H}\bigg)^{-1}_T = \bigg(\frac{\partial M}{\partial T}\bigg)_H \frac{T}{\chi_T}##, so if I plug the last relation to the relation above for ##C_H-C_M## I get ##C_H-C_M = \bigg( T^2/\chi_T \bigg) \bigg(\frac{\partial M}{\partial T}\bigg)^2_H##.

Am I right?

It seems this is a typo (if I am correct also appears in the third edition of this textbook).

Am I right?

Is this result known in the literature?

Have I missed something here?

Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind, I see that the mistake is in the susceptibility, the ##T## is redundant there.

How to delete this thread?