Is the Hamiltonian of a string given by a sum of harmonic oscillators?

In summary, the conversation discusses the classical Hamiltonian for a string with a given mass per unit length, as well as its quantization and the introduction of creation and annihilation operators. It also shows how the Hamiltonian can be expressed in terms of these operators and discusses the existence of a ground state and its relation to the vacuum energy. Finally, the conversation discusses the commutation relations and calculates the energy of a specific state.
spaghetti3451

Homework Statement

This problem is a continuation of the problem I posted in this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/equation-of-motion-from-a-lagrangian.867784/

(We have set the mass per unit length in that question to ##\sigma## = 1 to simplify some of the formulae a little.)

The string has classical Hamiltonian given by ##H= \sum\limits_{n=1}^{\infty} (\frac{1}{2}p_{n}^{2}+\frac{1}{2}\omega_{n}^{2}q_{n}^{2})## where ##\omega_n## is the frequency of the ##n##th mode.

After quantization, ##q_n## and ##p_n## become operators satisfying ##[q_n , q_m]=[p_n , p_m]=0## and ##[q_n , p_m]=i\delta_{nm}##.

Introduce creation and annihilation operators ##a_n = \sqrt{\frac{\omega_n}{2}}q_{n}+\frac{i}{\sqrt{2\omega_{n}}}p_{n}## and ##a^{\dagger}_{n}=\sqrt{\frac{\omega_n}{2}}q_{n}-\frac{i}{\sqrt{2\omega_{n}}}p_{n}##.

Show that they satisfy the commutation relations ##[a_n , a_m]=[a^{\dagger}_n , a^{\dagger}_m]=0## and ##[a_n , a^{\dagger}_m]=\delta_{nm}##.

Show that the Hamiltonian of the system can be written in the form ##H=\sum\limits_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{2}\omega_{n}(a_{n}a^{\dagger}_{n}+a^{\dagger}_{n}a_{n})##.

Given the existence of a ground state ##|0\rangle## such that ##a_{n}|0\rangle = 0##, explain how, after removing the vacuum energy, the Hamiltonian can be expressed as ##H=\sum\limits_{n=1}^{\infty}\omega_{n}a^{\dagger}_{n}a_{n}##.

Show further that ##[H, a^{\dagger}_{n}] = \omega_{n} a^{\dagger}_{n}## and hence calculate the energy of the state ##|l_{1},l_{2}, \dots , l_{N}\rangle = (a^{\dagger}_{1})^{l_{1}}(a^{\dagger}_{2})^{l_{2}}\dots (a^{\dagger}_{N})^{l_{N}}|0\rangle##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Let me solve the problem part by part.

(We have set the mass per unit length in that question to ##\sigma## = 1 to simplify some of the formulae a little.)

The string has classical Hamiltonian given by ##H= \sum\limits_{n=1}^{\infty} (\frac{1}{2}p_{n}^{2}+\frac{1}{2}\omega_{n}^{2}q_{n}^{2})## where ##\omega_n## is the frequency of the ##n##th mode.

In the previous problem, ##L = \int_{0}^{a} dx \bigg[ \frac{\sigma}{2} \Big( \frac{\partial y}{\partial t}\Big)^{2} - \frac{T}{2} \Big( \frac{\partial y}{\partial x}\Big)^{2} \bigg]= \sum\limits_{n=1}^{\infty} \bigg[ \frac{\sigma}{2} \dot{q}_{n}^{2} - \frac{T}{2} \big( \frac{n \pi}{a}\big)^{2} q_{n}^{2} \bigg]##

under the Fourier expansion ##y(x,t) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{a}} \sum\limits_{n=1}^{\infty} q_{n}(t)\text{sin} \big(\frac{n\pi x}{a}\big)##,

so that the displacement profile ##y(x,t)## is decomposed into an infinite number of displacement profiles ##y_{n}(x,t)=q_{n}(t)\sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}\text{sin} \big(\frac{n\pi x}{a}\big)## indexed by ##n##.
Now, ##p_{m}=\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}_{m}}= \frac{\partial}{\partial \dot{q}_{m}}\Big(\sum\limits_{n=1}^{\infty} \bigg[ \frac{\sigma}{2} \dot{q}_{n}^{2} - \frac{T}{2} \big( \frac{n \pi}{a}\big)^{2} q_{n}^{2} \bigg]\Big) = \sum\limits_{n=1}^{\infty} \sigma \dot{q}_{n}\ \delta_{nm} = \sigma \dot{q}_{m}##

so that ##H = \Big(\sum\limits_{n=1}^{\infty}p_{n}\dot{q}_{n}\Big)-L = \sum\limits_{n=1}^{\infty} \bigg[ \frac{1}{\sigma} p_{n}^{2} -\frac{1}{2\sigma} p_{n}^{2} + \frac{T}{2} \big( \frac{n \pi}{a}\big)^{2} q_{n}^{2} \bigg] = \sum\limits_{n=1}^{\infty} \bigg[ \frac{1}{2\sigma} p_{n}^{2} + \frac{T}{2} \big( \frac{n \pi}{a}\big)^{2} q_{n}^{2} \bigg]##

so that, under the assumption that the mass per unit length ##\sigma = 1##,

the string has classical Hamiltonian given by ##H= \sum\limits_{n=1}^{\infty} (\frac{1}{2}p_{n}^{2}+\frac{1}{2}\omega_{n}^{2}q_{n}^{2})## where ##\omega_{n} = \sqrt{\frac{T}{\sigma}} \big( \frac{n \pi}{a} \big)## is the frequency of the ##n##th mode.

Would you please comment on my attempt so far?

I think I can solve almost all of the problem by myself, but I just need someone to check my working in case I may made mistakes I can't spot.

1. What is quantisation of the dynamics of a string?

Quantisation of the dynamics of a string is a mathematical process that involves converting a classical theory of a string, which describes the continuous motion of a string, into a quantum theory that describes the discrete and quantised behavior of the string.

2. What is the role of Fourier-moded harmonic oscillators in this quantisation process?

Fourier-moded harmonic oscillators are used in the quantisation process to represent the vibrational modes of the string. These oscillators are quantised, which means their energy levels are restricted to discrete values, resulting in the quantisation of the string's dynamics.

3. Why is the quantisation of string dynamics important?

The quantisation of string dynamics is important because it allows us to better understand the behavior of strings at a microscopic level. It also plays a crucial role in the development of string theory, which aims to unify quantum mechanics and general relativity.

4. How does quantisation of the dynamics of a string relate to the uncertainty principle?

The quantisation of the dynamics of a string is closely related to the uncertainty principle, which states that there is a fundamental limit to the precision with which certain pairs of physical properties, such as position and momentum, can be known simultaneously. In the context of string theory, the quantisation of the string's dynamics leads to the quantisation of its energy levels, which in turn results in the uncertainty principle.

5. Are there any practical applications of the quantisation of string dynamics?

While the quantisation of string dynamics has mainly been applied in theoretical physics, it has also found applications in practical fields such as condensed matter physics and quantum computing. For example, the principles of quantisation have been used to develop new technologies for data storage and encryption.