Deriving sound from simulated interactions

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of deriving sound from simulated actions of simple bodies in a 3D space, particularly the sound generated by a collision between a metal ball and a wooden block. The aim is to precompute the waveform and simulate its propagation through the transmission media to a designated receiver point. This is an active area of research and would require borrowing from various sources.
SophieP
Hi all,

First, I hope this is in the right place, apologies if it isn't.

I'm looking into the possibility of deriving sound from the simulated actions of simple bodies in a 3D space.

As a toy example of my aim, I hope to be able to compute the sound that would be generated by a metal ball falling on a wooden block.

To do this, I hope to the the position, rotation, velocity, weight, mass, density and shape of the wooden block, the metal ball, and the domain of the simulation to calculate the resulting waveform generated by the collision of the block and the ball.
Using this data, the aim would be to simulate the propagation of the waveform through the transmission media (air, for instance), to the designated receiver (or virtual microphone) point.
This would all be precomputed, and is certainly not an attempt at a 'real-time' simulation.

I think that once the wave is generated, its propagation will not be a significant problem, as this is covered already in acoustic theory.

I have researched this online, and it does appear to be actively researched: http://www.cs.cornell.edu/projects/sound/

Thanks again,

Sophie

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If I understand what you are trying to do, it sounds as though you want to set up a 3D model, model a collision, and generate a *.WAV file so that you can hear what the a real collision would have sounded like. If that's what you want to do, it would be quite a project. You should borrow from as many sources as possible.

What is "Deriving sound from simulated interactions"?

"Deriving sound from simulated interactions" is a process of creating sound effects and audio based on simulated interactions between virtual objects or entities. This can be done through programming and algorithms, and is often used in video games and virtual reality experiences.

How does "Deriving sound from simulated interactions" work?

The process involves using computer simulations to generate data on the interactions between virtual objects, such as collisions, movements, and other actions. This data is then used to trigger pre-recorded or synthesized sound effects, creating a realistic and immersive audio experience.

What are the benefits of using "Deriving sound from simulated interactions"?

One of the main benefits is the ability to create dynamic and realistic sound effects that are tied directly to the actions happening in the virtual environment. This can enhance the overall immersive experience for the user and make it more engaging.

Can "Deriving sound from simulated interactions" be used for other purposes besides video games?

Yes, this technique can also be used in other applications such as virtual and augmented reality experiences, animation, and even in scientific simulations. It can add an extra layer of realism and immersion to any virtual environment.

What are some challenges of using "Deriving sound from simulated interactions"?

One challenge is ensuring that the sound effects accurately reflect the simulated interactions, as any discrepancies can break the immersion for the user. Another challenge is creating a large and diverse enough library of sound effects to cover all possible interactions in the virtual environment.