Deriving the gravitational binding energy of the cluster

In summary: Anyway, if you state your problem with all the assumptions as clear as possible then I believe a solution is possible.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
I am trying to derive the gravitational binding energy of the cluster. Its given as

$$U = -\alpha \frac{GM^2}{r}$$

Now for the derivation I started from
$$dU = -\frac{GM(r)dm}{r}$$

I I tried to write ##dm = \rho(r)4 \pi r^2dr## and do it from there but I could not do much. Any ideas how can I proceed ?
$$dU = -\int_0^R \frac{GM(r)}{r}\rho(r)4\pi r^2dr$$

If there's a simpler way that's also fine.

[Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and thus no template.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
MathematicalPhysicist said:
There's a similar to Poisson equation for Gravity, perhaps this will help you solve this question:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poisson's_equation
Hmm I don't see how that can help ..

To tell you the truth I don't understand what is exactly your problem?
I mean you want to get ##U=-\alpha GM^2/r## from ##dU = -\int_0^R \frac{GM(r)}{r}\rho(r)4\pi r^2dr##, but you didn't state what are the explicit dependencies of ##M(r)## and ##\rho(r)##, so how can you calculate this integral?!
I mean if they are constants with respect to r then it's a simple matter to calculate this integral, but there is insufficient data to compute this integral as I see it.

To tell you the truth I don't understand what is exactly your problem?
I mean you want to get ##U=-\alpha GM^2/r## from ##dU = -\int_0^R \frac{GM(r)}{r}\rho(r)4\pi r^2dr##, but you didn't state what are the explicit dependencies of ##M(r)## and ##\rho(r)##, so how can you calculate this integral?!
I mean if they are constants with respect to r then it's a simple matter to calculate this integral, but there is insufficient data to compute this integral as I see it.
If its spherically symmetric ?

You mean the density ##\rho(r)## is proportional to ##r^{-3}##? or is it ##M(r)##?
Anyway, if you state your problem with all the assumptions as clear as possible then I believe a solution is possible.

You mean the density ##\rho(r)## is proportional to ##r^{-3}##? or is it ##M(r)##?
Anyway, if you state your problem with all the assumptions as clear as possible then I believe a solution is possible.
I seen some solution here but it does not look like my thing...

https://physics.stackexchange.com/q...otential-energy-of-any-spherical-distribution

Thats the problem. I mean I thought I mentioned the spherically symmetry thing. Which I noticed I did not so I said it. I just wondered is it derivable from a unknown matter density. If its not that's also okay.

What is gravitational binding energy?

Gravitational binding energy is the amount of energy required to completely disperse a gravitationally bound system, such as a cluster of galaxies.

How is the gravitational binding energy of a cluster calculated?

The gravitational binding energy of a cluster can be calculated by summing up the potential energy of each individual galaxy within the cluster, taking into account their masses and distances from each other.

Why is it important to calculate the gravitational binding energy of a cluster?

Calculating the gravitational binding energy of a cluster can help us understand the stability and dynamics of the cluster. It can also provide insights into the amount of dark matter present in the cluster.

What factors affect the gravitational binding energy of a cluster?

The gravitational binding energy of a cluster is affected by the masses of the individual galaxies, their distances from each other, and the overall size of the cluster.

Can the gravitational binding energy of a cluster change over time?

Yes, the gravitational binding energy of a cluster can change over time as galaxies within the cluster interact and merge, and as the overall structure of the cluster evolves.