Deriving the solution for a free particle from the TISE

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of solving the time-independent Schrödinger equation using plausibility arguments and techniques from second order differential equations. It also addresses questions about using Euler's formula and allowing for complex coefficients in the solution.
CAF123
Gold Member

Homework Statement

In my physics course, we have been given 'plausibility' arguments for the solutions of the time dependent/time independent SE. However, have done a Calculus course alongside, I feel I should really derive these solutions, since I have learned about the techniques of second order diff eqns.

The Attempt at a Solution

Considering the simple case first: ##V = 0##. In such a region, the TISE reduces to $$\frac{-\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{d^2}{dx^2} \psi(x) - E\psi(x) = 0.$$ Take the auxiliary eqn of this to get ##-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}r^2 - E = 0 => r = ±\frac{\sqrt{2mE}}{\hbar}i## and so the general solution is $$\psi(x) = A\cos(\frac{\sqrt{2mE}}{\hbar}) + B\sin(\frac{\sqrt{2mE}}{\hbar})$$
First question:I recognise my expression for ##r## as the expression for ##k##, the wavenumber. Can I simply let ##r = k## to recover this expression? If so, why?
Second question:I know the general soln in this case is ##\psi(x) = Ae^{ikx} + Be^{-ikx}. ##How does this follow from what I have? I thought about using the method of reduction of order to perhaps find this other term but then I noticed that the expression that I got did not have a term ##i\sin##, so what I have does not conform with the answer anyway.
Many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can set r=k on dimensionality arguments.
Use Euler's formula linking sin/cos and the complex exponential.

dextercioby said:
You can set r=k on dimensionality arguments.
Use Euler's formula linking sin/cos and the complex exponential.

Are you talking about $$e^{ikx} = \cos(kx) + i\sin(kx)?$$
In my case, I have ##Ae^{ikx} + Be^{-ikx} = A[\cos(kx) + i\sin(kx)] + B[\cos(kx) -i\sin(kx)] = \cos(kx)[A+B] +i\sin(kx)[A-B]##. In my expression I have no i. The only thing I can see of doing is saying ##A+B = ##some constant, ##C## and ##(A-B)i = ##some constant, ##D##, right?

CAF123 said:
In my expression I have no i.
What if you allow that A and B could be complex? Aren't the two solution formats then equivalent?

haruspex said:
What if you allow that A and B could be complex? Aren't the two solution formats then equivalent?

Is that not what I tried? Instead of A and B, I used C and D, so that in the end I get $$\psi(x) = C\cos(\frac{\sqrt{2mE}}{\hbar}) + D\sin(\frac{\sqrt{2mE}}{\hbar}) = (A+B)\cos(\frac{\sqrt{2mE}}{\hbar}) + (A-B)i\sin(\frac{\sqrt{2mE}}{\hbar})$$ Simplifying gives ##\psi(x) = Ae^{ikx} + Be^{-ikx}##.

CAF123 said:
Is that not what I tried?
OK. It wasn't clear to me that you had come to understand that the source of your difficulty was the assumption that A and B were real.

1. How do you derive the solution for a free particle from the TISE?

The solution for a free particle can be derived by solving the Time-Independent Schrödinger Equation (TISE) for a particle with no external forces acting on it. This equation is a second-order differential equation that can be solved using separation of variables and applying the appropriate boundary conditions.

2. What is the significance of the TISE in quantum mechanics?

The TISE is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the behavior of a particle in a potential. It allows us to determine the energy levels and wavefunctions of a particle, which are essential in understanding the behavior of quantum systems.

3. What are the boundary conditions used in deriving the solution for a free particle?

The boundary conditions used in deriving the solution for a free particle are that the wavefunction must be continuous and differentiable at all points, and it must approach zero as the particle approaches infinity. These conditions ensure that the wavefunction is physically meaningful and finite.

4. Can the TISE be applied to particles with external forces?

Yes, the TISE can be applied to particles with external forces. However, in this case, the potential term in the equation will include the external force, and the solution will be more complex. In the case of a free particle, where there are no external forces, the potential term is equal to zero.

5. How does the solution for a free particle differ from a particle in a potential?

The main difference between the solution for a free particle and a particle in a potential is that in the case of a free particle, the potential term in the TISE is equal to zero. This results in a simpler solution, with a constant energy level and a wavefunction that does not vary with position. In contrast, a particle in a potential will have a varying energy level and a wavefunction that is affected by the potential energy of the system.