1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving the solution for a free particle from the TISE

1. Nov 26, 2012 #1

CAF123

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In my physics course, we have been given 'plausibility' arguments for the solutions of the time dependent/time independent SE. However, have done a Calculus course alongside, I feel I should really derive these solutions, since I have learnt about the techniques of second order diff eqns.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Considering the simple case first: ##V = 0##. In such a region, the TISE reduces to $$\frac{-\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{d^2}{dx^2} \psi(x) - E\psi(x) = 0.$$ Take the auxiliary eqn of this to get ##-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}r^2 - E = 0 => r = ±\frac{\sqrt{2mE}}{\hbar}i## and so the general solution is $$\psi(x) = A\cos(\frac{\sqrt{2mE}}{\hbar}) + B\sin(\frac{\sqrt{2mE}}{\hbar})$$
    First question:I recognise my expression for ##r## as the expression for ##k##, the wavenumber. Can I simply let ##r = k## to recover this expression? If so, why?
    Second question:I know the general soln in this case is ##\psi(x) = Ae^{ikx} + Be^{-ikx}. ##How does this follow from what I have? I thought about using the method of reduction of order to perhaps find this other term but then I noticed that the expression that I got did not have a term ##i\sin##, so what I have does not conform with the answer anyway.
    Many thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2012 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can set r=k on dimensionality arguments.
    Use Euler's formula linking sin/cos and the complex exponential.

4. Nov 26, 2012 #3

CAF123

Gold Member

Are you talking about $$e^{ikx} = \cos(kx) + i\sin(kx)?$$
    In my case, I have ##Ae^{ikx} + Be^{-ikx} = A[\cos(kx) + i\sin(kx)] + B[\cos(kx) -i\sin(kx)] = \cos(kx)[A+B] +i\sin(kx)[A-B]##. In my expression I have no i. The only thing I can see of doing is saying ##A+B = ##some constant, ##C## and ##(A-B)i = ##some constant, ##D##, right?

5. Nov 27, 2012 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What if you allow that A and B could be complex? Aren't the two solution formats then equivalent?

6. Nov 27, 2012 #5

CAF123

Gold Member

Is that not what I tried? Instead of A and B, I used C and D, so that in the end I get $$\psi(x) = C\cos(\frac{\sqrt{2mE}}{\hbar}) + D\sin(\frac{\sqrt{2mE}}{\hbar}) = (A+B)\cos(\frac{\sqrt{2mE}}{\hbar}) + (A-B)i\sin(\frac{\sqrt{2mE}}{\hbar})$$ Simplifying gives ##\psi(x) = Ae^{ikx} + Be^{-ikx}##.

7. Nov 27, 2012 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

OK. It wasn't clear to me that you had come to understand that the source of your difficulty was the assumption that A and B were real.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook