Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving the structure constants of the SO(n) group

1. Nov 19, 2015 #1
    The commutation relations for the ##\mathfrak{so(n)}## Lie algebra is:

##([A_{ij},A_{mn}])_{st} = -i(A_{j[m}\delta_{n]i}-A_{i[m}\delta_{n]j})_{st}##.

where the generators ##(A_{ab})_{st}## of the ##\mathfrak{so(n)}## Lie algebra are given by:

##(A_{ab})_{st} = -i(\delta_{as}\delta_{bt}-\delta_{at}\delta_{bs}) = -i\delta_{s[a}\delta_{b]t}##

where ##a,b## label the number of the generator, and ##s,t## label the matrix element.

I would like to show that the structure constants ##f_{ij,mn}^{ks}## of the ##\mathfrak{so(n)}## Lie algebra such that

##[A_{ij},A_{mn}] = if_{ij,mn}^{ks}A_{ks}##

are given by

##f_{ij,mn}^{ks} = \delta_{k[j}\delta_{i][m}\delta_{n]s}##.

Can someone help me out with this?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2015 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

From these equations, you have
    $$f_{ij,mn}^{ks}A_{ks}=-(A_{j[m}\delta_{n]i}-A_{i[m}\delta_{n]j}) .$$
    You can expand the RHS using identities like ##A_{jm} = \delta_{jk}\delta_{ms} A_{ks}## to derive the form of the structure constants.

4. Nov 21, 2015 #3
    Thanks! I got it!

5. Nov 21, 2015 #4
    It is easy to show that the generators ##(A_{ab})_{st}## of the ##\mathfrak{so(n)}## Lie algebra given by

##(A_{ab})_{st} = -i(\delta_{as}\delta_{bt}-\delta_{at}\delta_{bs}) = -i\delta_{s[a}\delta_{b]t}##

reduce to the three generators ##A_{23},A_{31}, A_{12}## of the ##so(3)## Lie algebra.

The generators ##A_{ii}## for ##i=1,2,3## are redundant as they all equal to ##0##.
    The generators ##A_{32},A_{13},A_{21}## are redundant as ##A_{32}=-A_{23},A_{13}=-A_{31},A_{21}=-A_{12}##.
    The redundancy comes about because the matrices ##A_{ab}## themselves form the matrix elements of an antisymmetric matrix element.

Am I correct?

6. Nov 21, 2015 #5

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, the generators are antisymmetric in both pairs of indices:
    $$(A_{ab})_{st} = - (A_{ba})_{st} = -(A_{ab})_{ts} .$$

7. Nov 21, 2015 #6
    I would also like to show that the structure constants ##f_{ij,mn}^{ks}## of the ##\mathfrak{so(n)}## Lie algebra reduce to the structure constants ##\epsilon_{ij}^{k}## of the ##so(3)## Lie algebra defined as follows:

##[X_{p},X_{q}]=i\epsilon_{pqr}X_{r}##

where ##X_{1}=A_{23},X_{2}=A_{31},X_{3}=A_{12}##.

Now, however must I try, I cannot show that ##f_{ij,mn}^{ks} = \delta_{k[j}\delta_{i][m}\delta_{n]s}## reduces to ##\epsilon_{pqr}## under the above identification ##p=ij,q=mn,r=ks##.

To illustrate,

##f_{ij,mn}^{ks}##
    ##= \delta_{k[j}\delta_{i][m}\delta_{n]s}##
    ##= \delta_{kj}\delta_{i[m}\delta_{n]s}-\delta_{ki}\delta_{j[m}\delta_{n]s}##
    ##= \delta_{kj}\delta_{im}\delta_{ns}-\delta_{kj}\delta_{in}\delta_{ms}-\delta_{ki}\delta_{jm}\delta_{ns}+\delta_{ki}\delta_{jn}\delta_{ms}##

Now, ##\epsilon_{123} = 1##, but ##f_{23,31}^{12} \neq 1##.

What exactly is the problem?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  8. Nov 21, 2015 #7

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For ##SO(3)## we can use the invariant ##\epsilon_{ijk}## to project a pair of indices onto a single index. So the expression that you should compute is ##\epsilon_{aks}{\epsilon_b}^{ij}{\epsilon_c}^{mn} f^{ks}_{ij,mn}##.

9. Nov 21, 2015 #8
    All right. Let me first perform the computation.

##\epsilon_{aks}{\epsilon_b}^{ij}{\epsilon_c}^{mn} f^{ks}_{ij,mn}##
    ##= \epsilon_{aks}{\epsilon_b}^{ij}{\epsilon_c}^{mn} (\delta_{kj}\delta_{im}\delta_{ns}-\delta_{kj}\delta_{in}\delta_{ms}-\delta_{ki}\delta_{jm}\delta_{ns}+\delta_{ki}\delta_{jn}\delta_{ms})##
    ##= \epsilon_{aks}({\epsilon_b}^{mk}{\epsilon_c}^{ms} - {\epsilon_b}^{nk}{\epsilon_c}^{sn} -{\epsilon_b}^{km}{\epsilon_c}^{ms}+{\epsilon_b}^{kn}{\epsilon_c}^{sn})##
    ##= \epsilon_{aks}({\epsilon_b}^{mk}{\epsilon_c}^{ms} + {\epsilon_b}^{nk}{\epsilon_c}^{ns} +{\epsilon_b}^{mk}{\epsilon_c}^{ms}+{\epsilon_b}^{nk}{\epsilon_c}^{ns})##
    ##= 4 \epsilon_{aks}{\epsilon_b}^{mk}{\epsilon_c}^{ms}##
    ##= 4 \epsilon_{aks}{\epsilon_m}^{kb}{\epsilon_m}^{sc}##
    ##= 4 \epsilon_{aks}(\delta^{ks}\delta^{bc}-\delta^{kc}\delta^{bs})##
    ##= -4 \epsilon_{acb}##
    ##= 4 \epsilon_{abc}##

Is there some way to get rid of the factor of 4 in front of ##\epsilon_{abc}##?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  10. Nov 21, 2015 #9

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I get the same factor of 4. It turned out that I forgot some factors of 2 in the mapping I suggested. Let us define ##A_{ij} =\gamma \epsilon_{ijp} X_p## for some constant ##\gamma##. Then we can multiply this again by ##\epsilon## to show that ##X_p = (1/(2\gamma)) \epsilon_{pij} A_{ij}##. Now consider
    $$ [X_p, X_q] = \frac{1}{4\gamma^2} \epsilon_{pij} \epsilon_{qmn} [A_{ij},A_{mn}]
    = \frac{1}{4\gamma^2} \epsilon_{pij} \epsilon_{qmn} f^{ks}_{ij,mn} \gamma \epsilon_{ksr} X_r.$$
    We find precisely the factor of 4 that we needed and can therefore set ##\gamma=1##.

11. Nov 21, 2015 #10
    Thank you so much! I get it now!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook