1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving Vector and position vectors from Force vector

1. Apr 18, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An object of mass m is at rest at equilibirum at the origin. At t=0, a new force [tex]\vec{F}(t)[/tex] is applied that has components
    [tex]F_{x}[/tex](t) = k1+k2y [tex]F_{y}[/tex](t)=k3t
    where k1, k2, and k3 are constants. Calculate the position r(t) and velocity v(t) vectors as functions of time.
    2. Relevant equations
    We know that Force = ma.
    and that :
    [tex]\int \vec{a}dt = \vec{v}(t)[/tex]
    [tex]\int \vec{v}dt = \vec{r}(t)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not sure if I'm doing this right but
    I did
    [tex]\vec{F}(t)[/tex] =[tex](k1+k2y)\hat{i}[/tex]+[tex](k3t)\hat{j}[/tex]
    I divided the Force vector by the scalar value of m, the mass to get [tex]\vec{a}[/tex]
    [tex]\vec{a}(t)[/tex] = [tex](k1+k2y)/m\hat{i}[/tex]+[tex](k3t)/m\hat{j}[/tex]

[tex]\vec{v}(t)[/tex]=[tex]\int \vec{a}dt[/tex] = [tex](k1+k2y)t/m \hat{i}[/tex] + [tex](k3t^2)/2m \hat{j}[/tex]

then integrate the velocity vector to get the position vector, am I doing this right at all?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2008 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You reasoning seems good, but you are forgetting some constants when you integrate.
  4. Apr 18, 2008 #3
    Thanks, just noticed that myself as well.
  5. Apr 19, 2008 #4
    note that in Fx(t) = k1 + k2y, the y is not a constant, so the integral of k2y dt is not equal to k2yt
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?