Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derving piston position and instant velocity

1. Mar 28, 2008 #1
    hey guys,

Im doing a question where it asks to derive the instantaneous velocity of the piston. We are given the potion of the piston as a function of instantaneous angular displacement of the crank.
    Now I checked the answer...and i m not sure how the [tex]\omega[/tex] gets into the answer. if I take the derivative with respect to time of both sides, i dont end up with an [tex]\omega[/tex].

tau = ratio of crank radius to connecting rod lenght R/L

x = R[(1-cos[tex]\theta[/tex]) + [tex]\frac{\tau}{4}[/tex](1-cos2[tex]\theta[/tex])]

[tex]\dot{x}[/tex] = R[tex]\omega[/tex](sin[tex]\theta[/tex] + [tex]\frac{\tau}{2}[/tex]sin2[tex]\theta[/tex])

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2008 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You have x( [itex] \theta [/itex] ) and you are finding [itex] \frac {dx} {dt} [/itex] so you must use the chain rule, what will show up is [itex] \frac {d \theta } {dt} = \omega [/itex]. So you need to finish your derivitve.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?