Velocity / Acceleration Diagrams of a Mechanism - Piston and a rotating rod

In summary, the question is asking for the acceleration of point P on the piston in a mechanism shown in the attached picture. The method used involves calculating the velocity of point C and then using that to find the angular velocity of point P. The acceleration of point P can be determined by considering 4 possible components, with the centripetal component being the only one present at theta = 90 degrees. The coordinate of point P is also given.
Master1022
Summary:: This is a question about finding the acceleration of a point in a mechanism

Hi,

I have a question about the mechanism shown in the attached picture:

Question:
We are told that [itex] \omega = 6 rad/s [/itex] and the first part is asking me to find the acceleration of point P on the piston when [itex] \theta = 90 degrees [/itex].

Scannable Document on 26 Jan 2020 at 15_11_29.png

My method:
One question I have is whether we can view this as a crank-slider mechanism? I usually see the mechanism depicted with a slider that is directly at C, but I am wondering whether this is what the question is getting at (especially for some of the later parts when acceleration diagrams are required)

Anyways, I have noted that when [itex] \theta = 90 degrees [/itex], that the lengths are: OC = 150 mm, CP = 450 mm, and SP = 300 mm.

I have first calculated [itex] \vec v_c = \vec \omega_{OC} \times \vec r_{OC} = 6 \times (0.15) = 0.9 m/s [/itex]. Thus, in order to find the angular velocity of SP:
[tex] \vec v_c = \vec \omega_{SP} \times \vec r_{SC} = \vec \omega_{SP} \times 0.75 = 0.9 m/s [/tex] and thus [itex] \vec \omega_{SP} = \frac{0.9}{0.75} = 1.2 rad/s [/itex]

To find the acceleration of point P on the piston, there are 4 possible components to consider: [itex] \ddot r , - r \dot \theta ^ 2, r \ddot \theta, [/itex] and [itex] 2 \dot r \dot \theta [/itex]. Am I correct in thinking that we only end up with the centripetal component [itex] r \dot \theta ^ 2 = (1.2)^2 \times (0.3) = 0.432 [/itex] m/s^2 (pointing vertically upwards)

My reasoning is that:
At [itex] \theta = 90 [/itex], the [itex] \dot r = 0 [/itex] (of the sliding piston relative to the fixed point P) and thus the Coriolis component of the acceleration for bar CP will be 0. However, when drawing an acceleration diagram (not sure if this much working is required), it looks as if the angular acceleration of bar SP and CP are 0 such that the slider (piston) and rocker (fixed on rod) accelerations are vertically aligned (need to be vertically aligned because I believe that [itex] \ddot r_{PP'} \neq 0 [/itex] and it will be vertical).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The coordinate of P(Px,Py) is
[tex]P_x=OC \cos \theta -CP \sin \phi[/tex]
[tex]P_y=OC \sin \theta + CP \cos \phi[/tex]
where ##\phi## is angle OSC whose relation with others is
[tex]\frac{\sin \phi}{OC}=\frac{\cos (\phi-\theta)}{L}[/tex]
or
[tex]\cos \phi=\frac{\frac{L}{OC}-\sin \theta}{\sqrt{cos^2\theta+(\frac{L}{OC}-\sin \theta)^2 }}[/tex] and
[tex]\sin \phi=\frac{cos\theta}{\sqrt{cos^2\theta+(\frac{L}{OC}-\sin \theta)^2}}[/tex]
if I do not mistake.
Thus you get the formula of ##P_y (\theta)=P_y (\omega t)## and can derive its time derivatives.

Last edited:

1. What is a velocity/acceleration diagram of a mechanism?

A velocity/acceleration diagram is a graphical representation of the motion of a mechanism, specifically a piston and a rotating rod. It shows the velocity and acceleration of each component at different points of the mechanism's motion.

2. How is a velocity/acceleration diagram constructed?

To construct a velocity/acceleration diagram, the mechanism's position, velocity, and acceleration data must be calculated at different points of its motion. This data is then plotted on a graph with the position on the horizontal axis and the velocity and acceleration on the vertical axis.

3. What is the purpose of a velocity/acceleration diagram?

The purpose of a velocity/acceleration diagram is to analyze the motion of a mechanism and determine the velocity and acceleration of its components at different points in its motion. This information is useful in designing and optimizing the performance of the mechanism.

4. How do velocity and acceleration relate to each other in a diagram?

In a velocity/acceleration diagram, the slope of the velocity curve at any given point represents the acceleration of the mechanism at that point. This means that the steeper the slope, the higher the acceleration. Additionally, the area under the acceleration curve represents the change in velocity over a given time interval.

5. What are some practical applications of velocity/acceleration diagrams in engineering?

Velocity/acceleration diagrams are commonly used in engineering to analyze and optimize the performance of various mechanisms, such as engines, pumps, and gear systems. They can also be used to identify potential issues or areas for improvement in existing mechanisms.