Descendant of Genghis Khan sequenced

• Thread starter arabianights
  • Start date
In summary: Yes, I mean he can be innocently wrong. And I don't think cheating was rampant just then, there is, was and always will be some fraction of cheaters. Todays statistics say that several percent (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-paternity_event#Rates_of_non-paternity and http://jech.bmj.com/content/59/9/749.long) of kids are not biological kids of their legal fathers (unknowingly to fathers). For sure this fraction changes with time and is different in different societies, but assuming 2% and 34 generations, his chances of being really a descendant of Genghis Khan are 50/50.
arabianights
“Descendant of Genghis Khan” sequenced

Scientists in China have used the blood of a direct descendant of Genghis Khan to sequence the genome of an ethnic Mongolian for the first time.

The milestone sequencing was announced Dec. 18 by scientists from Inner Mongolia Agricultural University (IMAU), Inner Mongolia University for the Nationalities (IMUN) and BGI, which credits itself as "the world's largest genomics organization." The scientists said this sequencing of the Mongolian genome will help them address genetic differences and genetic diseases among the Mongolian people.The name of the man whose DNA was sequenced was not given, but he was identified as a 34th-generation descendant of Genghis Khan and a member of the Mongolian royal family. He is said to be a member of the Sunit Tribe that lives in the Xilingol prefecture of Inner Mongolia. The scientists said this man has a fully defined family pedigree that dates back to the 13th-century Mongolian empire and his family line shows "no background of intermarriage between other ethnic groups," according to professor Huanmin Zhou, project investigator and director of science and technology at IMAU.

With this first genome under its belt, the team plans to expand its database with further samples to enhance research of Mongolian health.

According to the Xinhua news agency, there are about 10 million ethnic Mongolians around the world, living in Mongolia, China and Russia.

Inner Mongolia is an autonomous region of the People's Republic of China. It borders the country of Mongolia, which sits along Inner Mongolia's northern border. The Mongolian people are a minority in Inner Mongolia.

Genghis Khan was one of the world's great conquerors. He founded the Mongol Empire, which continued to grow after his death in 1227, becoming history's largest contiguous empire. The empire was extended by his descendants, eventually encompassing more than 9 million square miles before it fell in 1368.

The Great Khan, as he was sometimes known, was also one of the world's more productive breeders. A study released in 2003 revealed that 8 percent of the males living in the regions of the former Mongolian Empire carried a nearly identical Y chromosome, suggesting that they were all direct descendants of Genghis Khan and his many sons. According to the study, as many as 0.5 percent of all males on the planet today may be descendants of Genghis Khan.

Biology news on Phys.org

You need to provide a link to the actual paper. Please do so now.

arabianights said:
he was identified as a 34th-generation descendant of Genghis Khan

Fairy tales. Taking into account that several percent of children are illegitimate, chances of him being a real descendant of Genghis Khan are well below 50%.

Borek said:
Fairy tales. Taking into account that several percent of children are illegitimate, chances of him being a real descendant of Genghis Khan are well below 50%.

Not defending the claim, but here's the original announcement:

In this study, the DNA sample was from a male adult who belongs to the Mongolian “Royal Family” and is the 34th generation descendant of Genghis Khan. “The sample is very valuable for the study with a full record of family pedigree and no background of intermarriage between other ethnic groups.” said Professor Huanmin Zhou, Project Investigator and Director of Science and Technology at IMAU.

I don't doubt he has papers for his ancestry, but papers just confirm his official status. Cheating is not covered by birth certificates.

Borek said:
I don't doubt he has papers for his ancestry, but papers just confirm his official status. Cheating is not covered by birth certificates.
Of course. Assuming there is validity in the DNA test, his papers will supersede said DNA test. :wink:

1 in 200 men direct descendants of Genghis Khan For another "opinion."

Borek said:

You mean to say cheating was rampant back then and the errors have since propagated (i.e. the guy could be innocently wrong) or that he himself is knowingly cheating today?

Pythagorean said:
You mean to say cheating was rampant back then and the errors have since propagated (i.e. the guy could be innocently wrong) or that he himself is knowingly cheating today?

Yes, I mean he can be innocently wrong. And I don't think cheating was rampant just then, there is, was and always will be some fraction of cheaters. Todays statistics say that several percent (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-paternity_event#Rates_of_non-paternity and http://jech.bmj.com/content/59/9/749.long) of kids are not biological kids of their legal fathers (unknowingly to fathers). For sure this fraction changes with time and is different in different societies, but assuming 2% and 34 generations, his chances of being really a descendant of Genghis Khan are 50/50. And my understanding is that 2% is a rather conservative estimate.

but assuming 2% and 34 generations, his chances of being really a descendant of Genghis Khan are 50/50

Don't follow you.
0% cheating mens his has 100% chance of being a direct decendant.
100% cheating means he has a 0% chance of being a descendant.
2% cheating translates into 50/50 chance after 34 generations < -- this I don't quite comprehend.

A generational stable rate of 2% cheating mothers out of 34 would mean perhaps only one woman cheated and the chance of her cheating are not all of a certainty either.
Take into account that if in the process of cheating, the selection for a mate would most likely be someone within the Khan clan than outside, at least for the first few generations, than the chance of that offspring not having a Khan Y chromosome, if male, drops from 2%.

The scientists would have relied surely not solely his birth heritage being presented to them with just a piece of paper as evidence, but would have had to have carried out some sort of statistical analysyis to warrant publishing.. That paper would support the claim that he has more of a probablility of being a direct descedant than an individual picked at random from the general population.

Probability he is who he thinks he is is 0.9834=0.50.

That is what I don't get if the "study" is so flawed than why did they even go through the motions. There must be some other credible valuable evidence in suppost - could be that he a a marked resemblance to Khan the Great. :)

Borek said:

There's actually a study that suggest that 10% of the people in the world their fathers aren't who they think they are...

one study probably isn't enough. I'm sure there's all sorts of demographics associated, but that would drop it to a 2.78% chance!

Flatland said:
There's actually a study that suggest that 10% of the people in the world their fathers aren't who they think they are...

Have you read further posts you would see a link to the study that suggests 10% (on average) is an overestimate.

What is the significance of sequencing the descendant of Genghis Khan?

The sequencing of the descendant of Genghis Khan allows us to gain a better understanding of the genetic makeup of one of the most influential and powerful leaders in history. It also provides insight into the genetic legacy of the Mongol leader and his descendants.

How was the descendant of Genghis Khan sequenced?

The sequencing was done through a process called whole genome sequencing, where the entire genetic code of an individual is decoded. This was likely done using a sample of DNA from the descendant, which was then analyzed and compared to other known genetic sequences.

What information can be learned from the sequencing of the descendant of Genghis Khan?

The sequencing can reveal information about the genetic traits and characteristics of Genghis Khan and his descendants. It can also provide insight into any potential health conditions or diseases that may be linked to his genetic makeup.

Is there any controversy surrounding the sequencing of the descendant of Genghis Khan?

There may be some controversy surrounding the sequencing, as it raises ethical questions about privacy and consent. However, as the descendant is a historical figure, there may not be any living relatives or descendants to give consent for the sequencing.

How does this sequencing impact our understanding of Genghis Khan and his legacy?

The sequencing may give us a better understanding of Genghis Khan's physical traits and genetic legacy, which can provide insight into his leadership and impact on history. It may also help us dispel or confirm any myths or rumors surrounding his life and lineage.