Describing All covering Spaces of a Product Space

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Bacle
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Product Space Spacex
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 6K views
Bacle
Messages
656
Reaction score
1
Hi, All:

Say we are given the product spaceX= RP^3 x RP^4 (projective real 3- and 4-space resp.) and we want to find all covering spaces of X. The obvious thing todo would seem to be to use the facts:

i) S^3 covers RP^3; S^4 covers RP^4, both with maps given by the action of Z/2 on
each of the S^n's , i.e., we identify antipodal points in each S^n.

ii) Product of covering spaces is a covering space of the product X

But: how can we guarantee that S^3 XS^4 is the only possible covering space for X?

I think there is a related result dealing with subgroups of the deck/transformation group

( which is Z//2 here ) , but I am not sure.

Any Ideas?

Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
covering spaces are classified by the fundamental group, so you want to know the fundamental group of the product space. that is fairly easy.
 
Thanks; but what do I do after I calculate Pi_1 ? I know there is some result with

its subgroups, but I am not clear on what that is. Any refs/ name of result, please?
 
have you googled:

classification of covering spaces by fundamental group ?
 
That's O.K. Mathwonk, thanks; from what I got, we mod out the universal covering spaces
by all subgroups of the fundamental group ; in our case, we have the product
S^3 x S^4 modded out by all products of subgroups.