Describing all unique 2-tuples from a set using Set Notation

In summary: It is easy to see that this is an ordering on A which makes S(A) identical to your original definition.In summary, set notation can be used to describe certain 2-tuples generated from a set, satisfying conditions such as non-equality of components and non-symmetry. To do so, one can introduce a linear order on the set or use a one-to-one mapping into the natural numbers. By stating the set as a finite set or introducing an ordered set, the conditions can be satisfied and the set can be described using set notation.
el_llavero
Describing certain 2-tuples from a set using Set Notation

How do you describe, using set notation, a certain set of n-tuples generated from a set satisfying the following conditions

Condition 1: non of the components of an individual n-tuple can equal each other

Condition 2: if (a,b) is an element of the set then (b,a) can not be an element of the set as well, I believe this is called not being symmetric

I believe the above conditions are analogous to generating all unique n-element subsets from a set, except I need to convert to n-tuple form

For instance, I have a set A = {S1, S2, S3, S4, DS1, DS2}, I would like to describe the set consisting of all the following 2-tuples generated from A, using set notation.
That is, describe the set below using set notation
S = {(S1,S2), (S1, S3), (S1, S4),(S1, DS1), (S1, DS2), (S2, S3), (S2, S4),
(S2, DS1), (S2, DS2), (S3, S4), (S3, DS1), (S3, DS2), (S4,DS1), (S4, DS2), (DS1, DS2)}

This is my best attempt

S= {(x1 , x2): {x1 , x2} [tex]\subseteq[/tex] A}

I'm assuming that by stating ({x1 , x2} [tex]\subseteq[/tex] A) that alone guarantees generation of all unique subsets which satisfy the conditions above, where the x1 , x2 of each generated subset are assigned to the x1 , x2 values of the 2-tuple

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, you now have both (x1, x2) and (x2, x1) which are distinct 2-tuples, because {x1, x2} and {x2, x1} are both subsets of A.
And depending whether you want to consider {x, x} as a stupid way of writing {x}, your other condition may not be satisfied either.

The best I can think of at the moment is to introduce a linear order < on A, and write something like
[tex]S_n(A) = \{ (x_1, x_2, \cdots, x_n) \mid x_i \in A \text{ and } x_1 < x_2 < \cdots < x_n \}[/tex]
(I generalized your notation, what was S is now S2(A)).

I see how that works. However, could you enlighten me on the applicability of ordering, that is, when you can introduce ordering on a set where the elements have no numberical value.

for instance

A = {square, pizza, egg, dog}, and |A|= 4

It's obvious square != pizza but does the applicability of ordering come from the fact that
A is a countable set and/or that the elements in A are distinct and/or some other reason?

Last edited:
el_llavero said:
It's obvious square != pizza but does the applicability of ordering come from the fact that
A is a countable set and/or that the elements in A are distinct and/or some other reason?

A finite set can obviously be ordered.

The natural numbers can also be ordered: 1 < 2 < 3 < ... A set is countable if there is a one-to-one mapping into the natural numbers. You can use this mapping to make an order on any countable set.

Thank you for your insight, I am familiar with the concepts of a set being finite and therefore being countable since there is a one-to-one mapping into the natural numbers which I've used in a proof once, I believe it's termed dove tailing, so my only exposure to this is when I have explicitly had to show it.

Now I just need clarification on the conventions of proper set builder notation to describe these relationships and this set.

My question now is:

WHAT IS IMPLIED AND WHAT DO I HAVE TO ACTUALLY STATE?

For instance in my original problem would describing set A and Set B as done below satisfy all conditions? Or do i explicity have to show the mapping from the elements in A into the natural numbers? Does describing A as a finite set as done below encompass all information to later use it in S and order it a certain way.

A = {S1, S2, S3, S4, DS1, DS2}

[tex]S_n(A) = \{ (x_1, x_2) \mid x_i \in A \text{ and } x_1 < x_2 \}[/tex]

I would say that making the statement more general by replacing
Let A be {S1, S2, S3, S4, DS1, DS2}​
in your definition by
Let (A, <) be an ordered set​
is an elegant way to do it.
Then the statement a < b makes sense and you can define
[tex]S(A) = \{ (x_1, x_2) \mid x_1, x_2 \in A \text{ and } x_1 < x_2 \}[/tex]
without anything else. That this is always possible when A is a finite set is then a corollary: it immediately follows from the fact that there exists a bijection between any finite set with n elements and the numbers {1, 2, ..., n} which can be used to introduce an ordering. The formal proof would be something like:
Let A be a finite set with n elements. Then there is a bijection f between A and {1, 2, ..., n}. Now introduce an order < on A by
a < b iff f(a) < f(b)​
where the "<" symbol on the right denotes the familiar "less than" relation on {1, 2, ..., n}.​

1. What is a 2-tuple in set notation?

A 2-tuple in set notation is a pair of two elements enclosed in parentheses and separated by a comma. For example, (x, y) is a 2-tuple where x and y are elements of a set.

2. How do you describe all unique 2-tuples from a set using Set Notation?

To describe all unique 2-tuples from a set using Set Notation, you would list all possible combinations of two elements from the set, enclosed in parentheses and separated by commas. For example, if the set is {1, 2, 3}, the unique 2-tuples would be (1, 2), (1, 3), and (2, 3).

3. What is the purpose of using Set Notation to describe 2-tuples?

The purpose of using Set Notation to describe 2-tuples is to clearly and concisely represent all possible combinations of two elements from a set. It is a standardized way of describing these combinations in a mathematical context.

4. How is Set Notation different from other methods of describing 2-tuples?

Set Notation is different from other methods of describing 2-tuples in that it follows a specific format and uses set symbols such as braces and commas. Other methods may use different symbols or notations, such as ordered pairs or matrices.

5. Can Set Notation be used for describing 2-tuples in any type of set?

Yes, Set Notation can be used for describing 2-tuples in any type of set, including finite sets, infinite sets, and sets of numbers or other elements. It is a flexible notation that can be applied to various types of sets.