1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Describing the motion of a bubble through water

1. Nov 17, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A bubble of air which is 1 mm in diameter is released without initial velocity in the
    volume of glycerol at room temperature. Describe the motion of the bubble as a
    function of time assuming that its diameter remains unchanged. Note that friction
    force acting on the bubble is given by

Drag Force = -4[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\eta[/tex]Rv

where h is the viscosity of the liquid, R is the radius of the bubble, and v is its
    velocity. Note that the numerical coefficient in this formula is different from that for a
    solid sphere moving in the liquid (which is 6π). Explain qualitatively why the
    numerical coefficients in tbubble are different.

2. Relevant equations

F=ma
    F=[tex]\rho[/tex]Vg

3. The attempt at a solution

Tell me if I'm going about this the wrong way. To describe the motion of the bubble, which is essentially finding the function of position with respect to time, I equated F = ma = Fb - Ff. Then integrating knowing that the initial conditions for velocity and position are 0, perhaps this could be it?

As I researched, however, I had found that the initial acceleration for the bubble starting at rest to be 2g, whereas, by my method, i would only get 1g.

Other considerations I had heard from discussion are that the mass of the air inside the bubble is negligible, so am i supposed to use the mass of water in contact to the surface when calculating "m" ? In addition I had also heard something about work, but i have no idea how that plays in this problem.

As for the second part, I thought about how...since the bubble is not a rigid body, the molecules themselves are in a circular flow that ultimately act as a .. buffer of some sort? i know im not making sense but i know there should be a difference between fluid in contact with fluid and fluid in contact with a solid.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2009 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do not forget about Archimedes' principle when counting forces.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook