Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Description of the Electron Degeneracy Principle

1. Nov 2, 2014 #1
    I understand that the electron degeneracy principle states that no two electrons can occupy the same space at once. However, I do not think I clearly understand the physics behind that. I talked to my physics teacher about this and he said it had to do with the electron spin; I thought it was the electric repulsion force between the electrons. Can someone please clarify this?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2014 #2

e.bar.goum

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It's more fundamental that that - the principle states that two (spin half) particles cannot have exactly the same quantum state - so the two electrons may not share exactly the same properties, like position, momentum and spin - something about them must be different. So two electrons in an atomic orbital must have opposite spins, for instance.

The principle comes out of a theory called Quantum Field Theory quite naturally, but we usually just take it as a principle (and it was assumed before QFT).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook