Design a go kart braking system

In summary: Safe enough for what? For not breaking in torsion? Or not bending and buckling under the nose dive loading on the axle?
moebot
Homework Statement
my assignment is that we should design a go kart braking system
Relevant Equations
shaft design calculations
i have been stuck on this question from my assignment, i have tried solving it in many ways, but apparently i am either bad at this or i just don't understand the question haha.

* As a prudent engineer, the main shaft is now subjected to loading condition when only
brake is applied. Show with calculation that the existing main shaft size is safe when braking
torque is applied. You should include a sketch showing all forces, loads and torques that are
acting on the main shaft complete with dimensions.

i have the main shaft size, i just didn't really understand how to use it, and how to prove that it is safe.

excuse my incompetence but i really tried my best

Physics news on Phys.org
moebot said:
Homework Statement:: my assignment is that we should design a go kart braking system
Homework Equations:: shaft design calculations

i really tried my best
Can you show us what you tried? Also, what are the relevant equations? Can you show us your FBD for the axle/wheel/brake system?

berkeman said:
Can you show us what you tried? Also, what are the relevant equations? Can you show us your FBD for the axle/wheel/brake system?

That's the thing i haven't able to get a hold of how to start.

Attachments

• IMG_20191203_152641.jpg
    IMG_20191203_152641.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 151
I interpreted the question asking about the torques on the axle in the coaxial direction, but your sketch shows a side view of the axle with just chassis and tire forces causing bending moments? What is the question asking about?

berkeman said:
I interpreted the question asking about the torques on the axle in the coaxial direction, but your sketch shows a side view of the axle with just chassis and tire forces causing bending moments? What is the question asking about?

basically the entire assignment was asking us to design a braking system for a go kart, in the particular question they're asking us to find our if our main shaft size obtained is safe enough when braking is applied

Safe enough for what? For not breaking in torsion? Or not bending and buckling under the nose dive loading on the axle? Are you using disk or drum brakes? If disk brakes, how is the rotor connected to the wheel and axle?

What is a go kart braking system?

A go kart braking system is a mechanism that allows the driver to slow down or stop the go kart by applying pressure to the brake pedal. It typically consists of a brake pedal, brake calipers, brake pads, brake discs or drums, and a brake master cylinder.

What are the main components of a go kart braking system?

The main components of a go kart braking system include a brake pedal, brake calipers, brake pads, brake discs or drums, and a brake master cylinder. The brake pedal is where the driver applies pressure to activate the braking system. The brake calipers hold the brake pads and apply pressure to the brake discs or drums to slow down the go kart. The brake master cylinder is responsible for distributing hydraulic pressure to the brake calipers.

How does a go kart braking system work?

A go kart braking system works by converting the kinetic energy of the moving go kart into heat energy through friction. When the driver presses the brake pedal, it activates the brake master cylinder, which then pushes hydraulic fluid into the brake calipers. The brake calipers then squeeze the brake pads against the brake discs or drums, creating friction and slowing down the go kart.

What are the different types of go kart braking systems?

There are two main types of go kart braking systems: mechanical and hydraulic. Mechanical braking systems use a cable or linkage to connect the brake pedal to the brake calipers. Hydraulic braking systems, on the other hand, use a hydraulic fluid to transmit pressure from the brake pedal to the brake calipers. Within these two types, there are also variations such as disc brakes, drum brakes, and anti-lock braking systems.

How important is a go kart braking system?

A go kart braking system is crucial for the safety and control of the go kart. It allows the driver to slow down or stop the go kart when needed, preventing accidents and injuries. Additionally, a well-designed braking system can improve the overall performance and handling of the go kart, making it more enjoyable to drive.