Designing a Carry Lookahead adder in Excel sheet

In summary, The conversation is about designing a carry lookahead 8bit adder and the problem of calculating the group generate signal. The first level has four G signals (G1:0, G3:2, G5:4, G7:6) that need to be added together, while the second level has G3:0 and G7:4. The third level only has G7:0. There are two formulas for computing G: Gi:0 = Gi + Pi * Gi-1:j (eq. 1) and Gi:j = Gi:n + Pi:n * Gn-1:j (eq. 2). The speaker only knows how to use the first formula for G1:0 and asks
beyondlight
I'm designing a carry lookahead 8bit adder. My problem is that i don't know how to calculate the group generate signal.

I have 4 G signals:

First level:
G1:0
G3:2
G5:4
G7:6

And these have to be added together:

Second level:
G3:0
G7:4

Third level:
G7:0

Two different formulas for computing G:

Gi:0 = Gi +Pi * Gi-1:j eq. (1)

Gi:j = Gi:n+Pi:n * Gn-1:j eq. (2)I know how to use (1) for G1:0 but for G3:2 and further on i don't know how to do.

My book doesn't explain this well at all. (Integrated Cirucit Design, Pearson)

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you post a diagram of what you are designing? What is the difference between a standard adder and a carry-lookahead adder?

And an adder has two sets of inputs. What is your second set of inputs?

Last edited by a moderator:
berkeman said:
Could you post a diagram of what you are designing? What is the difference between a standard adder and a carry-lookahead adder?

And an adder has two sets of inputs. What is your second set of inputs?
I have a propagate signal as input and Carry in as input.

http://sv.tinypic.com/view.php?pic=9h1euo&s=8#.VED-NPl_vkg

1. What is a Carry Lookahead adder?

A Carry Lookahead adder is a type of digital circuit used to perform addition operations. It is designed to improve the speed and efficiency of adding binary numbers by reducing the number of carry propagation delays.

2. How does a Carry Lookahead adder work?

A Carry Lookahead adder works by using a combination of logic gates and carry lookahead blocks. The inputs and outputs of each block are used to calculate the carry signals for each bit position, which are then used to generate the final sum output.

3. Why would I want to design a Carry Lookahead adder in an Excel sheet?

Designing a Carry Lookahead adder in an Excel sheet allows for easy visualization and organization of the logic gates and carry lookahead blocks. It also allows for quick iteration and modification of the design, making it a useful tool for learning and experimenting with digital circuits.

4. What are the steps to design a Carry Lookahead adder in Excel?

The first step is to define the inputs and outputs of the adder, including the number of bits and the carry-in and sum outputs. Then, create a truth table to represent all possible input and output combinations. Next, use logical functions (such as IF, AND, OR) to design the carry lookahead blocks. Finally, use these blocks to create the overall adder circuit in Excel.

5. Are there any limitations when designing a Carry Lookahead adder in Excel?

Yes, there are limitations to consider when designing a Carry Lookahead adder in Excel. Excel is not optimized for digital circuit design, so it may not be suitable for complex or large adders. Additionally, the timing and delay calculations may not be accurate in Excel, so it should not be used for designing circuits that require precise timing.