Designing bolted joints that rotate under friction without loosening

  • Thread starter Thread starter jstluise
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Design Joint
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
jstluise
Messages
58
Reaction score
0
I'm looking for some info/guidelines on designing bolted joints that are made to move with some resistance/friction...all without loosening the bolt. Think of a legs of a camera tripod; the legs can rotate in and out with resistance, but they never loosen.

It seems the basic idea is that the friction/torque securing the bolt (between the male/female threads) must be greater than the friction/torque created by the clamping effect of the bolt (between the bolt head and the moving part). So, some sort of thread locking technique is necessary (nyloc, loctite, etc).

I would be very interested hear any design guidelines/tips for these types of joints.

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
jstluise said:
I'm looking for some info/guidelines on designing bolted joints that are made to move with some resistance/friction...all without loosening the bolt. Think of a legs of a camera tripod; the legs can rotate in and out with resistance, but they never loosen.

It seems the basic idea is that the friction/torque securing the bolt (between the male/female threads) must be greater than the friction/torque created by the clamping effect of the bolt (between the bolt head and the moving part). So, some sort of thread locking technique is necessary (nyloc, loctite, etc).

I would be very interested hear any design guidelines/tips for these types of joints.

Thanks!
hmmm...

It sounds like you understand the problem perfectly.

I translate your post as;

"I know how mousetraps work. Can someone give me a better idea for a mousetrap."