1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Designing Reinforcement for a continuous cantilever beam

1. Sep 6, 2010 #1
    Ive got a beam that I cant seem to calculate the loading of. Lets say beam ABC supports are at A & B, BC is a cantilever. There is no wall on AB, but there is a wall on BC. Now I have tried breaking it up into separate parts, but does not look right. I was taught the method of triangles and trapezoids, depends on what side (long or short) of the beam you are working on.

Any one with advice or maybe a reference for me?

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      File size:
      3.7 KB
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2010 #2
    First question. What prevents rotation about B?

Can you sketch the elastic curve for this beam? It will be sagging over A and hogging over B - and sagging again at C.

So you will need bottom tension reinforcement at A and C, top tension reinforcement at B. You will obviously need to determine the points of contraflexure for the changeover of reinforcement.
  4. Sep 7, 2010 #3
    There is a beam perpendicular to A going both ways. There is also a beam perpendicular to C goimg one way till its meets the parrallel beam of ABC. Yes I can draw the curve and sagging etc. My problem is calculating the loading on beam ABC. Is there a way to upload a photo on this site for you to see? Maybe I could email you?
  5. Sep 7, 2010 #4
    Click the "Attachment" button to upload a picture from your computer or a URL. (that's the paper clip in "advanced" mode)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook