Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Designing Reinforcement for a continuous cantilever beam

1. Sep 6, 2010 #1
    Ive got a beam that I cant seem to calculate the loading of. Lets say beam ABC supports are at A & B, BC is a cantilever. There is no wall on AB, but there is a wall on BC. Now I have tried breaking it up into separate parts, but does not look right. I was taught the method of triangles and trapezoids, depends on what side (long or short) of the beam you are working on.

Any one with advice or maybe a reference for me?

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      3.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2010 #2
    First question. What prevents rotation about B?

Can you sketch the elastic curve for this beam? It will be sagging over A and hogging over B - and sagging again at C.

So you will need bottom tension reinforcement at A and C, top tension reinforcement at B. You will obviously need to determine the points of contraflexure for the changeover of reinforcement.

4. Sep 7, 2010 #3
    There is a beam perpendicular to A going both ways. There is also a beam perpendicular to C goimg one way till its meets the parrallel beam of ABC. Yes I can draw the curve and sagging etc. My problem is calculating the loading on beam ABC. Is there a way to upload a photo on this site for you to see? Maybe I could email you?

5. Sep 7, 2010 #4
    Click the "Attachment" button to upload a picture from your computer or a URL. (that's the paper clip in "advanced" mode)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook