Desintegration of particle into 2 fermions

In summary: In other words, if you switch the positions of the two particles, the wavefunction remains unchanged. This is what is meant by the spatial part of the wavefunction being symmetric. In summary, the spin part of the wavefunction for two particles of half-integer spin (fermions) is always antisymmetric, which implies that the spatial part is symmetric. This can be proven by examining the conservation of angular momentum and the spin singlet state. However, in more complex cases, such as when two particles with spin n/2 are created as a result of disintegration, the spin part of the wavefunction may also be antisymmetric. The way of dividing the wavefunction into spin and spatial parts and using symmetric and antisymmetric relations is
paweld
Why the spin part of wavefuncition of two particle of half-integer spin (fermions)
which was created after desintegraton of spinless particle is always
antisymmetric (let's assume that orbital angular momentum was 0
before and after desintegration). This implies that spatial part
of wavefunction is symmetric (maybe it the result of momentum
conservation?).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You "assume that orbital angular momentum was 0". This is a spatially symmetric state.

Thanks for replay.
I didn't mean spatially symmetric in that sense - sorry for being imprecise.
I menat symmetry of spatial part of wavefunction under exchange of particles.
I would like to prove that [tex]\psi(x_1,x_2)=\psi(x_2,x_1) [/tex].

Conservation of angular momentum implies that you two fermions should be in the spin singlet state (S=0).

[tex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left(|\uparrow\downarrow\rangle-|\downarrow\uparrow\rangle\right)[/tex]

This state is anti-symmetric wrt interchange of the spin-indices of the two particles. As you said, this implies (since the total wavefunction must be antisymmetric wrt interchange of all particle coordinates (i.e. spin and position) the spatial part of the wavefunction must be symmetric.

I would like to prove more general fact. If as a result of desintegration two particles
with spin n/2 (with odd n) are created the spin part of wavefunction is antisymmetric
(one can check that it's true by examining Clebsch-Gordon coefficients table but
I'm looking for prove for all n).

The actual phenomena are more complicated.

The antisymmetric means that if we use the same functions in the 2 electrons, the whole wavefunction becomes zero.
The way of dividing the wavefunction into the spin and spatial parts and using symmetric and antisymmetric relations is one of the one-electron approximations.
This way uses the hydrogen wavefunction of each energy level and correct the charge value and so on.
This is an approximation, so the result is different from the experimental value. (especially when there are many electrons).

Both the spin and orbital have "the angular momentum" which names are the same, but these angular momentums have the entirely different properties. Because the spin g-factor is 2 and the orbital g-factor is 1 (As a result, both the magnetic moments are the same (2 x 1/2 = 1 x 1).

So when we use the J (= spin + orbital angular momentum ), its g-factor becomes complex (See this thread).
And there are some cases in which any coupling methods are difficult to express the experimental spectrum lines.

(Oh, while I am writing this, I notice one thing. I heard that some people said the antisymmetric relation of the electrons appears only in the relativistic QFT. But the case you say in this thread are clearly non-relativistic. Is it OK?)

Last edited:
paweld said:
Thanks for replay.
I didn't mean spatially symmetric in that sense - sorry for being imprecise.
I menat symmetry of spatial part of wavefunction under exchange of particles.
I would like to prove that [tex]\psi(x_1,x_2)=\psi(x_2,x_1) [/tex].
Spatially symmetric in "that sense" does mean symmetric under the interchange x1<--->x2.

1. What is the process of "Desintegration of particle into 2 fermions"?

The process of "Desintegration of particle into 2 fermions" is a type of decay in which a particle breaks down into two fermions. This process is also known as particle decay or particle disintegration.

2. What are fermions?

Fermions are a type of elementary particle that make up matter. They are characterized by their half-integer spin and follow the Pauli exclusion principle, meaning that no two fermions can occupy the same quantum state at the same time.

3. What are some examples of particles that undergo "Desintegration of particle into 2 fermions"?

Some examples of particles that undergo "Desintegration of particle into 2 fermions" include the Z boson, the Higgs boson, and the W boson. These particles are unstable and decay into two fermions in order to achieve a more stable state.

4. What is the significance of "Desintegration of particle into 2 fermions" in particle physics?

The process of "Desintegration of particle into 2 fermions" is important in particle physics as it helps us understand the fundamental building blocks of matter and the forces that govern their interactions. It also allows us to study the properties of particles and their decays, which can provide valuable insights into the nature of the universe.

5. How is "Desintegration of particle into 2 fermions" different from other types of particle decay?

The main difference between "Desintegration of particle into 2 fermions" and other types of particle decay is the number of particles that are produced. In this process, a single particle decays into two fermions, whereas in other types of decay, multiple particles may be produced. Additionally, the specific particles that are produced in this process, such as fermions, may vary depending on the initial particle and its properties.