Desk Top vs. Laptop for first year grad school in physics

In summary, the person is starting their first year as a PhD physics student and is unsure whether to get a laptop or desktop for grad school. They also plan to have an iPad for taking notes and presentations. They are seeking advice on which device would be best and what software and management tools would be useful. The person recommending a laptop, specifically a Thinkpad x220 or MacBook Air, for faster typing and using LaTeX. They also suggest the Thinkpad tablet as a good option for pen input, especially for diagrams. They mention considering the cons of two devices versus the benefit of two when making a decision.
lucy202
I will be starting my first year as a phd physics student in the fall. I'm trying to get everything I need to start my first year of grad school. The one thing I'm not sure of is whether I should get a laptop or a desktop for graduate school. I am going into theorectical amo. Also I plan to have an Ipad.

Do you guys think an Ipad will work well for taking to class for notes, power points, etc.? I was thinking if I had the Ipad I wouldn't need the laptop.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Also does anyone have any suggestions on what I will need in the way of software, management of papers/files, etc.? I do have drop box and two external hard drives.

Please any help or ideas are welcome.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Personally I would (and do) just use a laptop. I type faster than I write, and I know people who can write latex faster than people who write on paper.

If you really want to go with portability, I recommend a thinkpad x220 or macbook air.

If you want the tablet option, I think the thinkpad tablet (not the laptop!) is better for school than the Ipad, mostly because the pen input is very good. If the class has a lot of diagrams a pen input is about the only way to go (paper has the best pen input though :D)

Just to mention, I was going to get the thinkpad tablet-pc, but decided against it because it felt more like the cons of two devices vs the benefit of two.

1. Should I get a desktop or a laptop for my first year of grad school in physics?

It ultimately depends on your personal preferences and needs. A desktop typically has more processing power and storage capacity, making it better for complex data analysis and simulations. However, a laptop offers portability and convenience, allowing you to work on-the-go or in different locations. Consider your daily routine and the type of work you will be doing to make the best decision.

2. What are the key differences between a desktop and a laptop for grad school in physics?

The main differences are size, processing power, and storage capacity. Desktops are usually larger and have more room for powerful processors and multiple hard drives, while laptops have limited space and may have less powerful processors. Additionally, desktops can be upgraded and customized more easily, while laptops are more compact and portable.

3. How important is portability for a first year grad student in physics?

This depends on your personal preferences and the type of work you will be doing. If you plan on working in a lab or at a desk most of the time, portability may not be a top priority. However, if you anticipate needing to work on-the-go or in different locations, a laptop would be more beneficial. Keep in mind that you can always connect a laptop to a larger monitor and keyboard for a more desktop-like experience.

4. Is a desktop or a laptop better for running complex simulations and data analysis?

A desktop is typically better for this type of work due to its larger size and more powerful processors. However, laptops have improved significantly in recent years and may be able to handle these tasks as well. It's important to consider the specific requirements of the software and simulations you will be using to determine which option would be best for you.

5. Can I use a desktop and a laptop together for grad school in physics?

Absolutely! In fact, many professionals and students use both a desktop and a laptop for different purposes. You can use a desktop for more intensive tasks and a laptop for portability and convenience. You can also connect your laptop to a larger monitor and keyboard when working at your desk to have a dual setup. This can provide the best of both worlds and make your work more efficient.