Desperately , mixed Dettol and Bleach, need to know more about the reaction

  • Thread starter Thread starter kenzoi
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mixed Reaction
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 14K views
kenzoi
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I accidentally threw dettol (chloroxylenol) down a clogged toilet drain without knowing there was already sodium hypochlorite there. For some strange reason, after flushing down once, it became even more clogged and it's still all lying there. I closed the door in fear of inhaling toxic fumes. I cannot find anything on the possible reactions caused by this mixture and am too scared to go inside until I know the reaction and it's possible health effects. I could find nothing whatsoever on google or anywhere else. Thank you in advance!
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org


Unless your toilet has something like a small toy or a feminine hygeine product lodged in it, you can just wait it out. The best thing to soften the usual toilet-related clogs is HOT WATER. Add it a bucket at a time and let the water level drop down as low as it will go before you add the second or third bucketful for best results. Patience is a virtue... as are stool softeners.