Detailed protocol of the open field test for social behavior

In summary: It does not have any specific protocols for social behavior tests, but it does have a variety of settings that allow for the recording of various behaviors. It also has a wide variety of protocols that can be performed on rats and mice. This would be a good resource to consult if you are unfamiliar with the common protocols performed in behavioral testing.
Eagle9
Good day guys :cool:

I need your help. I am going to run the open field test for social behavior, I need to put two rats in open field arena and then to measure what time they will spend close to each other or far from each other, also to see the distance they cover. Essentially, I need to assess the social isolation caused by certain substance administered to rats.

But the problem is that I do not have detailed protocol for such test. I searched in google and various sites/papers give various information during how much time the test should be run (during 5 min, 10 min and etc.) Also, I need to know during how many days the rats should be isolated before test (some papers indicate that rats should be isolated for 10 days before test begins)? Can you help me? Are you aware of such tests? :rolleyes:

Biology news on Phys.org
I have never worked with live animals, so don't know where to point you to a specific protocol.

Did any of those software programs I linked in a prior thread have pre-loaded settings for common protocols performed in behavioral testing? They are specifically for documenting social behaviors in rats and mice. It seems there should be some default protocols of the most common procedures, but should also let you adjust settings to fit the specific experiment. Otherwise, there be no point in even publishing software that doesn't track and guide you to documenting social behaviors. Trying to document that by hand without a specific protocol won't work well, the results need to be in publishable form that others in the field are familiar with. The software should guide you through it well enough and allow it to be recorded. Maybe the breed, sex, and age of the rats are a factor in determining isolation intervals?

Fervent Freyja said:
Did any of those software programs I linked in a prior thread have pre-loaded settings for common protocols performed in behavioral testing?
I have got no idea, where can I see these settings? In the program itself? :rolleyes:

Download the software to see?

Fervent Freyja said:
Download the software to see?
Yes, I downloaded

Likes Fervent Freyja

1. What is the purpose of the open field test for social behavior?

The purpose of the open field test is to observe and measure the social behavior of animals in an unstructured and unfamiliar environment. This test is commonly used in behavioral research to assess social interaction, exploration, and anxiety levels in animals.

2. How is the open field test conducted?

The open field test is typically conducted in a large, open arena with minimal or no objects present. The animals are placed in the center of the arena and allowed to freely explore for a set period of time while being observed and recorded.

3. What are the key behavioral measures recorded during the open field test?

The key behavioral measures recorded during the open field test include the amount of time spent in social interaction, the number of social approaches and contacts, and the amount of time spent exploring the environment.

4. How is social behavior scored during the open field test?

Social behavior is typically scored by trained observers who use a standardized scoring system. This may involve assigning numerical values to different behaviors or simply recording the presence or absence of certain behaviors.

5. What are the advantages and limitations of the open field test for social behavior?

The advantages of the open field test include its relatively simple and straightforward design, as well as its ability to provide insight into social behavior in a naturalistic setting. However, some limitations include the potential for observer bias and the lack of control over certain environmental factors that may influence behavior.